This Cake reminded me of my childhood Britannia cakes. We, as kids, could not stop at one slice. The minute that packet was opened, the whole cake vanished with no crumbs left behind. Marble Cake has both vanilla and chocolate flavors and two distinct colors are mixed together to create a marble effect. To top it all, this gorgeous marble cake is a stress buster for me and made my life super special over the weekend. It is a perfect cake to accompany a cup of Tea or Coffee. Bake a loaf and gift it to your loved ones. I am sure they will love it.
What You Will Need
(1 cup= 200 gm, 1 tbsp=15 gm , 1tsp= 5 gm)
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Odorless oil/Pure ghee – ½ cup
- Jaggery powder/syrup (melt jaggery in ⅛ cup water) – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened) – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Baking powder (7.5gm) – 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda (5gm) – 1 tsp
- Warm water – 1 cup (can be replaced with milk)
How To Prepare
- Preheat the oven at 350*F/180*C for 10 mins. Take a normal size Cake Loaf Pan (7-8 inches) and grease it lightly. You may also line it with a parchment paper for easy handling.
- Take a big bowl and sift 2 cups of flour, baking powder and baking soda into it. Mix it well with a fork and set it aside.
- In another bowl, add ghee/oil, curd and mix well. Add jaggery powder/syrup and beat the mixture till jaggery dissolves.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix gently with a cut and fold method. Add ¼ cup warm water/milk and fold it again. If you feel the batter is thick then slowly add warm water/milk till the batter is in flowing consistency (DO NOT OVERBEAT THE BATTER).
- Now divide this batter into 2 equal parts.
- In one part of the batter, add vanilla essence. Mix it well till incorporated in the batter. This is your vanilla Batter.
- In the other half of the batter, add the cocoa powder. Mix well with a fork till well incorporated and therefore, the whole of this batter turns chocolate brown in color.
- To pour the batter, add 1 tbsp vanilla batter first at the bottom of the greased pan.Then pour the 1 tbsp chocolate batter on top.Tap the pan on the counter a few times so that the batter settles down evenly with no gaps in between.You may pour the vanilla and chocolate batters in the pan in an alternate sequence or the sequence of your desire, could also be chocolate first and vanilla later. However you want to do it.
- Keep it in the oven for 30-40 mins. at 180*C. After 30 mins, check the cake with a toothpick. If it comes out clean then remove the cake tin from the oven and keep it on a cool down wire rack . Demould the tin when it completely cools down. (If it sticks on a toothpick, then bake it for more than 10 min. at 160*C .Temperature may vary in different ovens/OTGs.
- Cut it into small pieces according to your choice and store it in a steel or glass container in the refrigerator for a week. Enjoy a hearty slice of your Marble Cake with a cup of coffee or tea.
Why Is This Marble Cake Healthier Than A Bakery/Store Cake?
- We are adding whole wheat flour in a cake which has more fibre, packed with B vitamins, while a bakery cake is made with maida (refined flour). Eating maida raises your bad cholesterol (LDL), makes you put on weight, clogs arteries, raises BP, disrupts blood glucose, keeps you hungry, causes you to crave for sweets, causes mood swings and ruins your health. People eat it because they’re probably unaware of its consequences.
- We are using jaggery as a sweetener in cake, which is a good source of iron, helps in maintaining the electrolyte balance, aids digestion and helps prevent water retention thanks to its potassium content. Bakery cakes are loaded with white sugar and contain only empty calories without any nutrients. Excess sugar creates higher blood pressure, inflammation, weight gain, diabetes and fatty liver disease.
- In Bakery cakes, they use shortening and margarine, which are Trans Fats (Hydrogenated fats) that raise your risk of heart disease. They also raise your “bad” cholesterol levels, lower your “good” cholesterol and cause inflammation, therefore, hardening of your arteries.
We hope you enjoy this Whole Wheat Jaggery Marble Cake recipe. Do try it out and leave your feedback in the comments below. For more Healthy Recipes, checkout Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE cooking sessions on GOQii Play.