How many times have you pulled out food from the fridge and pushed it directly in the microwave? It’s convenient, it’s easy and saves a lot of time. Apart from reheating, microwaves are used for cooking and baking – all without burning or creating any mess. But with great convenience, comes even greater risks. Studies have concluded that microwaves can make our food radioactive! This increases the risk of cancer along with other health hazards.
Repeatedly cooking or reheating food using a microwave with plastic containers can cause some harmful chemicals to leach into the food and destroy its nutrients. More than 70% households have microwaves and most hotels and restaurants also use them to reheat and cook food faster. Want to know what your microwave can do to your health?
How Your Microwave Can Damage Your Health
- Increased Risk of Cancer: Foods that are microwaved cause different types of stomach and intestinal cancer. The prolonged use of microwaves in cooking causes the growth of cancerous cells in the human blood. Plastic containers used to heat the food have been found to release carcinogens along with other harmful toxins into food which is then absorbed by the human body.
- Loss of Nutrients: Water molecules rotate rapidly in the microwave. High frequencies create molecular friction. This causes the molecular structure in food to change and diminishes the nutrients present in food. When food is cooked or reheated in the microwave there is a loss of minerals, vitamins, micronutrients, and the human body gets little to no benefit from that food.
- Affects the Immune System: Eating microwaved food excessively can impact blood serum levels and lymph glands which affect immune system functions and leads to immune system deficiencies. If you are falling sick frequently and are using the microwave for cooking or reheating the food, you should stop using the microwave and check if there’s any improvement in your health. Don’t compromise your health to save a few minutes.
- Causes Loss of Memory: The central nervous system, especially the hippocampus is highly sensitive to microwave radiation. Eating microwave cooked food consistently causes loss of memory, loss of ability to concentrate, emotional stability and brain damage in the long run. This is because it causes electrical impulses in the brain to ‘short out’. So ask yourself if cooking food in the microwave is better than memory loss.
- Effects hormonal imbalance: Microwaved food can alter the production of male and female hormones in the human body. Eating microwaved food excessively can contribute to PCOD and infertility. It also affects the maintenance of hormonal balance in males and females.
- Irregular Heartbeat: A study shows that radiation emitted by the microwave affects heart rate. If you are facing regular chest pain and/or irregular heartbeat, you should stop using the microwave in your kitchen. It can also affect your blood pressure, pulse rate, and other cardiovascular functions.
What Can We Do To Reduce The Damage?
- Avoid using plastic cookware to cook or heat food. Also avoid pouring hot food (especially liquid) into a plastic container. Even if it says “microwave safe” on it, it’s still going to leach chemicals. It simply means the container won’t warp in the heat.
- If you wish to use the microwave urgently, use glass or ceramic cookware.
- Don’t use plastic storage bags from the grocery store. Don’t let plastic wrap touch your food during microwaving because it may melt.
- Old, scratched, cracked or even containers which have been microwaved too many times may leach out more plasticizers.
- If you experience any health issue like a headache, dizziness, eye pain, sleeplessness, hair loss, anxiety, stomach pain, etc. you need to stop using your microwave and consult a doctor immediately.
Using a microwave all the time isn’t a compulsion. Keep its use to a minimum. It’s always better to use a gas stove for reheating food using a stainless steel utensil. We hope this article helps you. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below!
#Be the Force