2020 was a rollercoaster of a year with the pandemic, lockdown, being enclosed within 4 walls and being panic-stricken thanks to COVID-19. The battle with COVID-19 is far from over but there is a little something you can do for your soul and peace of mind in 2021 – that’s decluttering! There are many people who have faced hardships and have lost more than just their jobs. Let’s utilize the first month of 2021 with an exercise that benefits us and the underprivileged people in need as well.
Decluttering Your House
Are you ready to clean your closets? Clean them and take out things you no longer have a use for. You can either choose to discard, donate or give them to people who may have use for them. For such an activity to be successful and not time consuming, reorient your home by category instead of by room – clothes, kitchen utensils, toys, stationary, footwear, accessories, etc. so that it becomes easy for you to reach the right person with the right things. Believe me, we all will face some troubles but amid all that, when we give to the needy, it will make us feel good too!
How Do You Go About Doing This?
If you have things you don’t use anymore, consider giving them away. One of the best ways to decide is to ask yourself when you used the item last. If you are unable to recall or if it’s more than 3 years, you’re better off giving it to someone else who needs it because there’s a good chance you’re not going to use it in the future too.
Even though you don’t want your old things anymore, it’s almost guaranteed that someone else will. There are many people in need of usable items and your donations can help. When you throw away your used items, they have no chance of reaching people who need them the most.
Also, before donating take the condition of the item into consideration as well. Only donate the items that are new, unused, or gently used. This means items which are in a good condition, clean and presentable. Do not donate items that don’t work properly, with missing parts, or are ripped, torn or stained. If you can’t use them in their current state, neither can others.
Benefits of Decluttering
- Decluttering teaches us how to let go and create space. Owing less helps save time and feel lighter and self actualized.
- It exercises our decision making skills. What to keep and what to get rid of is basically solving a problem. It works our brain and gives us a sense of satisfaction.
- Clutter can affect our brain, our ability to focus, our sleep, and our anxiety levels. While decluttering improves concentration, sleep quality, reduces stress and enhances mood.
- Decluttering exercise will leave us delighted, our home clean and organized. There’s something deeply satisfying about being in a space that’s free of clutter and where the only thing in use has its place. We feel more relaxed and focused when we find the item we need, easily. So better to get rid of extra things and enjoy the organized, clutter-free, calm and energetic home space .
Once Decluttered, Where Do You Donate?
- One can donate to a residence or to any charitable organization involved in such activities.
- You can check with your househelp, your local cleaners and watchmen, etc. if they require any of the items you wish to discard.
- Involve the entire family in the process, especially the young ones. They will learn decision making, know the noble cause behind and experience the joy of giving.
We hope this article helps you declutter and donate to a good cause. You can also up your Karma on the GOQii App by walking, earning Karma Points and donating it to a charity listed within the GOQii App. Check out the Karma feature now!