As winter knocks at your door, you might have noticed your Granny prepare Gond Ladoo. It is loved by both kids and adults alike. Gond Ladoo is the best warming food during winter and is quite a healthy snack especially in North India. It contains natural Gond (edible gum) which is extracted from the bark of trees.
Benefits of Gond Ladoo During Winter
- It helps to keep the body warm in falling temperatures.
- It prevents the body from cold, seasonal virus infections and keeps one safe from winter illnesses.
- It helps improve eyesight.
- It boosts immunity and improves stamina if prepared with Jaggery (Gud).
- It is enriched with protein, fiber, calcium, and magnesium which makes bones and tissues strong.
- Anti-inflammatory and good for arthritis as it lubricates the joints and provides relief for back & joint pain.
- Due to high fiber it is effective in treating constipation.
- It also improves sexual inadequacy or weakness in men.
- Nourishing food for pregnant women as it helps in strengthening bones and prevents back pain after birth.
- The combo of fat, fiber and protein is good for lactating mothers to meet the extra calories requirement and to speed up recovery. It increases milk production as well.
- It is a wholesome, nourishing food for winter if someone lacks energy and feels tired.
Generally, Gond Ladoo is prepared with desi ghee, gond, coconut, lots of chunky nuts and dry fruits. Want to try it out if you haven’t already? Here’s the recipe!
What You Will Need:
- Wheat Flour – 1 and ¼ cup
- Gond (edible gum) – 4 tbsp
- Dry Dates Powder – ¼ Cup
- Jaggery Powder – ¼ Cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut Powder – 2 tbsp
- Almond and Cashew Powder – 3-4 tbsp
- Poppy Seeds (Khus Khus) – 1 tbsp
- Dried Ginger Powder (optional) – ¼ tsp
- White Pepper Powder (optional) – ¼ tsp
- Desi Ghee (clarified butter) – 8-10 tbsp
How to Prepare
- Take a Kadhai, add 2 tbsp of ghee and roast all the Gond till it gets puffed and becomes crispy. Take it aside and grind the Puffed Gond in a mixer.
- Now add the dates powder Jaggery powder, cardamom powder, nut powder, poppy seeds, ginger powder, and white pepper powder and grind all together in a grinder.
- In the same Kadhai, add 2 more tbsp of ghee and roast wheat flour on low flame till it turns golden brown and you get a nice aroma!
- Add the previous mixture to the kadhai with wheat flour and mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes more and add the remaining ghee.
- The whole mixture should look wet. Take it off the gas.
- Grease your palm with a few drops of ghee and start moulding them into a Ladoo shape. You can use a little more ghee while rolling them.
- You can store these Gond Ladoos in an airtight container easily for a month and serve it anytime.
Please note that excessive intake may cause mild abdominal discomfort and increase your calorie intake as well. You must eat only one Ladoo in the morning or evening with warm milk.
If you have an allergy to any of the ingredients above, avoid eating this. If you’re unsure, please consult your doctor before you prepare.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and the winter season as well. For more healthy recipes, check out Healthy Reads or ask a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr