The year 2016, was a year of healthy living which became a huge trend and will continue to be so in the coming year. All this was because the trend in wearable technology took centre stage in 2016. In fact, the year 2016 could be termed as the year of wearable technology that brought along with it healthy living. Healthy living in turn saw the influx of usage of cold pressed oils, Apple Cider Vinegar, drinking Matcha (a new form of Green tea derived from the Japanese tencha leaf and then stone ground into a bright green fine powder) and few other foods that are slowly becoming more of a fad.
Let us look at 7 emerging trends in Health and Wellness in 2017
- The use of Curcumin or Turmeric: Popping Curcumin tabs or drinking turmeric curd or milk is a big trend that is being witnessed across the world. For Indians, Turmeric has been an age old remedy for aches and pains. But, in recent times it is being prescribed as an anti-inflammatory food and is slowly being integrated into one’s lifestyle and diet.
- Super Foods: Super Foods are becoming part of daily regular diet. Two years ago, Quinoa, flax seeds, Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds and Kale were considered exotic and difficult to find in supermarkets. Now however, these super foods have become staples for many and is part of regular daily diet of many. However, a disclaimer form my side is buy these only if required and not because it’s a growing trend and a fad to eat them.
- Wellness retreats: Since people have taken to healthy living, their holiday habits are also changing. They are thinking of going for wellness spa holidays, or meditation and yoga retreats in the mountains or go to pure wellness centers that is built amidst nature for detox. People are taking off for a week to be in complete solace with themselves and soak in the good aspects of life and bring in a discipline in their life. However, it needs to be seen how one is able to sustain this lifestyle once they are out of the retreat and back to their normal and routine life
- Healthy Gupshups: Being conscious of their health many have taken to talking healthy as well. All those who have experienced healthy lifestyle and leading one are becoming influencers and trying to get their near and dear ones to also see the change and adapt a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise, eating well, sleep and good rest. A whole new community of healthy living influencers are emerging all around us. Healthy Gupshups over good clean food, events, and workshops are coming into action. It’s amazing to gather with like-minded people to exchange healthy recipes, finding balance in your life, fitness, etc and this is only here to stay for the long term as people are getting more conscious.
- Healthy Cocktails and Shots: For all those health conscious souls who also like their alcohol once in a way during a social gathering are now opting for healthy cocktails and shots made of healthy natural juices and drinking more responsibly.
- Sitting is the new Smoking so walk 10,000 steps daily: If smoking was not bad enough to kill you, here is another lethal habit that can kill you-‘Sitting’. Sitting is known to increase belly fat which in turn is a recipe for disaster as it directly injures the heart. Hence, clocking 10,000 steps on a daily basis has been proved to be good and medically too doctors have accepted that this should be the daily norm.
- Positive thinking: The quest to live healthy is also leading many to think positively in life. They are finding way to look good and care for themselves.
So if you are not on the health path, then the coming year is your chance to walk this path. Watch out for these trends and adopt those that you think suits you and always stay positive and happy.