Most individuals who work desk jobs are stuck in front of their computers for 6 hours or more on a daily basis. If you don’t believe us, ask yourself some simple questions:
- Out of 24 hours in a day, how many hours do I sit?
- Do I feel any back or muscle pain during or at the end of the day?
- Do I feel a strain in my eyes or around my forehead area?
If your answer is yes to any of the above questions, it’s time to start with some basic office workout options which will help you remain active throughout the day. It doesn’t matter if you hit the gym in the morning for an hour, when you sit in front of a computer or TV, in a car or in a meeting, you’re not moving! This will increase your risk of obesity, heart disease, etc. Continuously sitting is bad for your health!
Workouts You Can Do At Work
1. Walk: Keep an alarm for every 45 min and get up from your seat to take a 3-4 min break. You can walk till the dispenser to drink water or go to printer to get a print. Take a bio-break or just take a round in the lobby. The idea is to walk!
2. Neck Stretch: Tilt you head to the right so you feel the stretch on the left. Hold for 5 seconds. Similarly, do it on left side, front and back. Repeat this 2 times.
3. Head Rotation: Slowly rotate your head in clock wise and anti-clock wise 5 times.
4. Shoulder Shrug: Raise your shoulder to the max, take them back, squeeze gradually and relax.
- Sit or stand straight and place one arm across your body. Keep your arm parallel to the ground and pull your elbow towards your body.
- Stand with one hand behind your neck and elbow pointing upwards, then use your other hand to pull your elbow behind.
- Roll your wrist 10 times clockwise and anti-clockwise. If possible every hour or while taking on phone.
- Extend fingers as far as possible and hold for 5 sec, then make a fist as tight as possible and hold for 5 sec. Repeat 5 times.
- Place your hands on the edge of your desk and slowly push your chair back until your head is between your arms and you are looking at the floor. Feel the stretch and slowly return to normal. (Repeat 5 times)
- Stand straight, raise your arms up to the ceiling, alternately extend 1 arm up to the ceiling.
- Stand straight, lock your hands and extend them towards the ceiling by turning your palms upward. Slowly pull yourself back. (Repeat 5 times)
- While sitting on the chair, straighten each leg one at a time, gradually lower it, stop halfway and hold for a few seconds. Repeat with the other leg (Do this 5 times with each leg).
- Stretch the front of your thigh by standing straight. Place one hand on the chair or desk for support, grab one of your ankles and bring it upwards to your buttocks. Remember to be in an upright position, keeping your back straight and knees parallel to each other. Hold for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat with other leg. (Repeat 5 times for each leg).
- Place one feet on another chair or desk and bend forward until you feel the stretch in the back of your leg. If possible try to touch your feet. Flex your foot and then point it. Hold it for a few seconds and repeat with the other leg. (Repeat 5 times each leg).
More Office Workout Tips To Keep You Active!
- Take stairs instead of the elevator – 2 at a time to maximize the burn!
- Have a good posture as you work at your desk.
- Sitting on an exercise ball will help your posture more.
- Park away from your workplace so you have to walk farther.
- When you can – stand rather than sit and walk rather than stand.
The above stretching guide is to reduce muscular stress and aches. Try doing as much as possible to get healthier. If you feel any unbearable pain while exercising, stop and seek professional help.
If you really want to get active, you can read about these Lunchtime Workouts. You can also opt to workout with an expert on GOQii PRO within the GOQii App. For a customized solution tailored to your health goals, you can speak to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
We hope this article on Office Workouts helps you. Do leave your thoughts in the comments below.
Thank you for the tips.
workout tips says
Hi, Wow! very good information about the workout tips
Chandrani das says
Thank u so much..
Grate post and effective issue discuss in the post. I love the post. Thank you for the post.