Inflammation is linked with so many serious illnesses such as diabetes, heart diseases, asthma, arthritis, etc. The use of anti-inflammatory drugs is very common and sometimes with no alternative as well. As they say, prevention is always better than cure! Eating anti-inflammatory food is a natural solution without any side effects. During winter, there’s less flow of blood which makes the joints colder and stiffer – leading to inflammation. The pain receptors become more sensitive in winters which result in pain, swelling in joints and other parts of the body.
Fight Inflammation with a Healthy Diet
Here’s a list of foods that should be included in your diet during winter to prevent inflammation.
- Turmeric: This spice is also known as “Yellow Gold” in western countries. The Indian cuisine is incomplete without this spice. It’s a food enhancer with great health values. It has curcumin which is a very powerful anti-inflammatory substance. Turmeric works great in treating rheumatoid arthritis and fighting inflammation.
- Ginger: is a great valuable cooking spice in our kitchen. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in lessen inflammation as well in treating allergic infections, especially during the winter season. We normally use this spice while making tea, soup, curries, etc.
- Walnuts: are always my favourite healthy snacking option during winter. It contains phytonutrients which reduce the risk of heart diseases and diabetes. It has omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation in the body.
- Beets: are highly rich in antioxidants and they do a good job in reducing inflammation. It’s a valuable vegetable loaded with magnesium. We should not forget beets in our daily diet (in salads, curd, smoothies) during winter.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: like spinach, kale, mustard and fenugreek grow best in winter. Due to the richness of antioxidants, omega3 fatty acids, Vit-C, etc. we should include them regularly in winter months.
- Pineapple: It contains a substance called bromelain that reduces the infections during winter and lessens the risk of strokes and even heart diseases. It works as a great remedy for people who have high uric acid (Gout). Bromelain also helps reduce inflammation.
- Blueberries: are my favorite! It has an antioxidant substance named quercetin which is generally found in citrus fruits. Quercetin is very effective in decreasing many types of infections and fighting cancer.
- Broccoli: is a very nutritious cruciferous vegetable that is rich in antioxidants. It has high amounts of potassium and magnesium with anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces stress and the risk of cancer. A disclaimer here: If you have thyroid, avoid eating cruciferous vegetables
- Tomatoes: are a nutritional powerhouse. It’s packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene which reduces inflammation in the body and helps protect the body against cancer as well.
- Salmon: As we have already discussed so many anti-inflammatory fruits and vegetables, Salmon is a non-vegetarian option. It’s great anti-inflammatory food with essential omega 3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. Omega 3 gives relief in inflammation and can reduce the need for anti-inflammatory drugs.
Apart from above you can:
- Dress warmly depending on the weather
- Stay hydrated and active
- Exercise regularly to strengthen your muscles
- Get out under the sun to maintain vitamin D levels
- Eat a balanced diet and maintain a healthy weight
Include the above foods to your diet to enjoy an inflammation-free winter! If you feel extreme discomfort or inflammation in your body, consult a Doctor.
For more winter tips and remedies, click here or speak to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for Personalised Health Coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
Do leave your thoughts in the comments below!
Great information and msg thank u
Lapsi is a breakfast sweet consumed especially in Gujarat and parts of Rajasthan. There are certain variants of lapsi available in different parts of the country. A generous amount of ghee, dry fruits, broken wheat, and raisins are put into the dish. It is a great breakfast delicacy to keep warm throughout the day.
I regularly use Salmo for my drinks. I love the scent of it and Salmo also has a lot of good effects on my health.
Sonic exe says
I have never taken turmeric before. Especially the turmeric milk dish. Maybe I should try that.