Welcome to the world of technology. Today, most of the work can be done via technology and seldom people are ready to move their bodies to complete any task. This is a going to create a huge problem for the current and the coming generations. While time spent online can be hugely productive, compulsive Internet use can interfere with daily life, work, and relationships.
Gradually, when you end up feeling more comfortable with your online friends than your real ones or you can’t stop yourself from playing games, browsing different sites, do all kinds of R&D, or compulsively checking your smart phone, tablet, or other mobile device ——then you may be using the Internet too much.
Risk factors for WWW addiction :
- Anxiety: There comes a point when you start using Internet to distract yourself from your worries and fears through different sites. An anxiety disorder like obsessive-compulsive disorder may also contribute to excessive email checking and compulsive Internet use.
- Depression : Whenever you are feeling depressed, you might start taking support of internet for chatting with different people, shopping or focus your mind in different area but, too much time online can make things worse. Internet addiction further contributes to stress, isolation and loneliness.
- Cause of other addictions: Research shows that many Internet addicts suffer from other addictions as well, such as drugs, smoking, alcohol, gambling, and sex.
- Unhappiness in life: With Internet addiction you often use social networking sites (facebook, twitter etc), instant messaging, or online gaming as a safe way of establishing new relationships and more confidently relating to others but, in real life you would be away from your real-life friends.
- Frustration : While playing a game on the internet, if your internet is not working or if you start losing the game you get frustrated. You get frustrated when your smart phone dies out.
- Tolerance and Obsession — Needing to play more and more in order to experience the same “rush”, hence spending most offline time thinking about past online experiences and planning for future online sessions.
Physical symptoms of WWW addiction: Internet or computer addiction can also cause physical discomfort such as:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (pain & numbness in fingers and wrists)
- Dry eyes or strained vision
- Back aches and neck aches; severe headaches
- Joints issues
- Sleep disorders
- Pronounced weight gain or weight loss
- Internet addiction can cause physical damage to the brain, just like drugs.
- Poor personal hygiene (again, neglecting this important issue in order to focus on online activities)
- Poor nutrition (failing or refusing to eat in order to remain online)
So this is the time when we have to go out and start using our old outdoor games and get back to real health and fitness.
Leave a Reply