The immune system is a complex system of blood cells and organs and it protects the body from harmful germs that can cause illness. If a person is frequently getting infections, they might have a weak immune system. In some cases, people have a weak immune system which makes them prone to frequent infections. White blood cells, antibodies, and other components including organs and lymph nodes make up the body’s immune system.
How to Identify a Weak Immune System?
You can understand if you have low immunity when you come across the following symptoms:
- Fatigue: Feeling extremely tired, like you do when you have the flu, could mean something’s going on with your body’s defences
- Repeated Infections: These may include infections like chronic sinus infections, ear infections, pneumonia, etc.
- Frequent cold, cough and flu
- Digestion issues like frequent diarrhoea, gas or constipation
Other symptoms that might show up are:
- Autoimmune disorders like type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus etc.
- Inflammation of the internal organs
- Blood disorders or abnormalities such as anaemia
- Growth and developmental delays in infants and children
- Skin problems like rashes, itchy, dry or red skin or even white patchy skin.
How Can You Fix It?
People who have a weak immune system can take several steps to maximize their chances of staying healthy and avoiding infections.
1. Good hygiene
Good hygiene goes a long way in protecting you from several diseases and infections. This includes washing your hands:
- Before, during, and after preparing meals and snacks
- Before eating
- After blowing the nose, sneezing or coughing
- Before and after treating a cut or another open skin wound
- After having contact with someone who is unwell
- After using or helping a child use the bathroom
- After changing a diaper
- After touching an animal or animal food or waste
- After touching garbage
2. Avoid people who are sick
If you have a weak immune system, avoid being too close to someone who has a cold or any other infection. Viruses can spread from person to person through contact. They can also spread via water droplets that the person expels into the air while coughing or sneezing.
3. Disinfect household objects
Germs that have the potential to cause illnesses can live on some surfaces at home such as doorknobs and remote controls. A person can reduce the number of germs that inhabit these areas by disinfecting them regularly.
4. Manage Stress
Stress can weaken the immune system and make a person susceptible to illness. Manage your stress effectively by practicing yoga, meditation or pursuing hobbies and keep your mind healthy to stay away from illnesses.
5. Get enough Sleep
Being deprived of sleep has a similar effect on the body as stress. Lack of sleep disrupts the normal production of white blood cells, a crucial component of the body’s immune system. Therefore, adults should aim for at least 7 hours of sleep per day,
6. Eat Healthy
Eating a healthy, balanced diet can improve a person’s overall well-being. If you have a weak immune system, go for a diet which is rich in vegetables and fruits as it will provide you with plenty of antioxidants and nutrients.
7. Exercise Regularly
Regular exercise keeps the body healthy. In addition to strengthening the body, exercise facilitates the release of endorphins which reduce stress levels. However, those with weak immune systems should be careful not to push themselves too hard as this can weaken the immune system further.
8. Consider Supplements
Some vitamins and minerals affect the immune system. For instance, a person with Vitamin C deficiency can have weakened immunity. Other vitamins and minerals that can affect immune function include vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, iron, folic acid and zinc.
Amid this COVID-19 pandemic, you can take additional precautions and follow the guidelines set by WHO. So focus on building your immunity and stay indoors!
For more topics on building immunity, home workouts and medical advice, tune in to GOQii Play.
To get more advice on building immunity and healthy living directly from a certified GOQii expert, subscribe to personalized coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr