Stress is a part and parcel of life. There’s no escaping it. Everyone endures stress and it is perfectly natural to seek some relief from it. In fact, relief is necessary because prolonged stress can lead to chronic stress which if left untreated, can cause heart-related issues, burn you out and affect your mental and emotional wellbeing. When faced with massive stress, we turn to food but are you eating the right kind of stress busting foods?
Top Healthy Stress Busting Foods
Don’t let relief come in the form of junk food. Instead, you can try these healthy stress busting foods:
- Asparagus: is high in folic acid which helps you relax. A vegetable like this, which is high in folate, a calming B-complex vitamin known to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety and at the same time, produce dopamine for the brain. Enjoy cooked or raw asparagus to reap the benefits of this powerful food.
- Avocado: Rich in healthy fat, magnesium and fiber, Avocado also contains vitamin B which benefits your nerves and brain cells while reducing stress. It has a substance called potassium which helps you by regulating your stress and blood pressure levels. Eating half an Avocado on a daily basis is good for you!
- Almond: Vitamin B and magnesium help your body produce serotonin – a hormone that regulates mood and relieves stress, and Almonds are loaded with it! So don’t be driven nuts by stress, instead eat almonds!
- Spinach: might not be on your go-to list of foods to eat when stressed, but it is necessary! The magnesium in Spinach can lift your mood and keep your stress hormones in check.
- Coconuts: are rich in Medium-Chain Triglycerides, which is an excellent fuel for the brain and the body. The antioxidants in coconut can heal your system and protect your mind. Medium-Chain Triglycerides are excellent at improving your digestion and overall mood.
- Walnuts: are known for their omega 3 content – which is very useful in fighting depression. They’re also packed with tryptophans which indirectly increase serotonin levels. When your serotonin levels are high, you feel more relaxed, calm and happy!
- Pumpkin seeds: contain magnesium which helps in reducing stress naturally, decreasing the tension in your muscles. It also contains another mineral called zinc that keeps you cheerful always.
- Eggs: have a good amount of vitamin B12, which are great for building mood. They trigger the production of feel good neurotransmitters like acetylcholine.
- Ghee: Homemade or pure A2 Ghee is known to have medicinal properties that can heal your gut and improve digestion. Better digestion also improves your emotional state. This makes it one of the top stress busting foods.
- Honey: is packed with anti-inflammatory properties which can increase the spread of serotonin and dopamine in your brain. Some raw organic honey can certainly make you happier!
- Cashew Nuts: Apart from satisfying your taste buds, Cashew nuts are one of the best stress busting foods out there as they supply your body with a good amount of protein and zinc – which help you reduce stress and anxiety.
We hope you will incorporate these stress busting foods to your daily diet. Do you know someone who is perpetually stressed? Share this with them and help them find relief. For more articles on busting stress, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.
You can also purchase some of the above listed foods such as A2 Cow Ghee, Organic Honey, Pumpkin Seeds, Cashew Nuts and Walnuts for a discount using GOQii Cash on the GOQii Health Store within the GOQii App.