Why Should You Choose Climbing Stairs?
- It is totally free and just about all of us can get access to a set of stairs
- It leverages gravity and the heavier we are, the harder we’re forced to work and the more calories we burn
- It is a relatively intense exercise that quickly increases our heart rate and in doing so, can greatly improve our cardiovascular fitness
- It helps strengthen and shape our most common problem areas like calves, thighs, buttocks and tummy
- It is a very efficient way of burning maximum calories and is great for those of us with limited time to exercise
- It can easily be mixed with other exercises like walking, skipping and weight training to maximize results. Stair climbing workouts are easy to build progression into
- It can be done by almost anyone, regardless of fitness level
- Because it is weight bearing, it helps build bone strength
- It is low impact and safe for the knees, provided the correct technique is used and a pre-existing condition doesn’t exist
The way forward with exercise is quality over quantity. Too many people fix a ‘one hour’ workout in their mind and if they can’t find time for that ‘1 hour’, they just don’t do it. Aim for power workouts, 25-30 mins max, where you max out your reps, burn those muscles and really get your heart rate up. 35-40 minutes should include a great warm up and an extremely important cool down.
You can burn more calories walking/running up steps in 30 mins than a 1 hour run or walk, plus it challenges your body. Start off with a couple of flights, walk and run slowly. As you get better, run and then skip 2 steps at a time and run or walk.
In a nutshell, Walking:
- Burns More Calories: Stair climbing engages your body’s largest muscle groups to repeatedly lift your body weight up, step after step. Thus, using your muscles to carry your own weight is far higher to running when compared.
- Maximizes Your Cardio Efforts: It also raises your heart rate immediately, thus, maximizing your cardio benefits
- Increases Core Muscle Strength: Climbing stairs is a great way to amp your core muscle strength
- Tones & Sculpts Your Body: It also engages every major muscle in your lower body — glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, abs and calves to exercise and thus tones your body better
- Low Impact Workout: You don’t have to ideally sweat it out while climbing stairs. Just a few stairs every day will give you a good workout
Safety First: Never run down the stairs, be confident while running up and take a break when needed.
Start doing this regularly and soon, you will be running up flights of stairs, feeling fitter, younger, stronger and leaner!
We hope this article helps you get fit! For more on fitness, check out Healthy Reads. You can also tune in to LIVE interactive online sessions on GOQii PRO within the GOQii App, where you can get one-on-one guidance in real time by certified fitness experts.