A sore throat is one of the earliest symptoms of COVID-19 infection in the majority of the cases. It manifests as scratchiness and irritation to the throat lining that worsens with swallowing. A sore throat can make it painful to eat, swallow and even talk!
If you have a sore throat associated with COVID-19, below are some of the remedies that might help you. These remedies do not cure the viral disease, but they can make you more comfortable. If your symptom of sore throat worsen, causing difficulty in breathing, please seek emergency medical assistance without wasting any time.
Some of these emergency symptoms include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Extremely high temperature, 103 F or above
- Chest pain or pressure
- Severe cough with choking
- Blue lips or face
Remedies For Soothing A Sore Throat
- Ginger Chips: Ingredients required – ginger root and honey. Wash an inch long piece of ginger root (Hindi name- Adrak) thoroughly, chop it into thin slices and pour a spoonful of honey to marinate them. Ginger chips are ready to be used. Keep one or two ginger chips in your mouth, upto maximum 6-8 in a day. Do not chew, just allow your salivary enzymes to dissolve the chip in your mouth slowly.
- Clove water: Boil a jug of water and turn off the stove, put 3 whole cloves (Hindi name- Loung) in it. Drink this clove water throughout the day. For faster relief, keep 2 cloves in your mouth, do not chew or nibble, just let them stay in your mouth for salivary enzymes to work their magic. (If you have lost your taste due to COVID-19. clove can dramatically help you with taste too)
- Salt water gargle: Gargling with warm saline solution for soothing a sore throat is a well known, tried and tested remedy, before over the counter medicines became a norm. So, even if you feel gross about it, give it a try! In a glass of warm water, add 1/4th tsp salt and gargle with this water in your throat. For added benefit, add a pinch of turmeric or a dash of lemon or Apple cider vinegar in it. Make sure not to drink/swallow the salt water.
Please make sure that you do not ignore worsening symptoms and connect with your treating doctor at the earliest. We hope this article helps you. For more COVID-19 related articles and tips to boost your immunity, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.
For further queries and to get these tips directly from your GOQii Coach, subscribe to GOQii now: https://goqiiapp.page.link/wssu
Stay home, stay safe and #BeTheForce