As a kid my mother use to feed me fox nuts – which I hated as it was tasteless. Then few years ago, someone I know introduced me to it again and nothing had changed. I still hated it and wondered why do people eat it? What do they like about it?
Thankfully, my mom had a way to get me to eat fox nuts. She roasted the nuts and tempered it with some condiments and spices – it was like a new version of a healthy popcorn. Crunchy, yummy and the best tea time snack!
Fox nuts are the lotus flower’s seeds. It is grown in water and is largely found in India and know as ‘Makhana’ here. It is also found in Korea, Japan and Russia and known as ‘Gorgon Nut’ there. It is also known as Euryale Ferox.
Fox nuts are highly nutritious food that have been used as a snack all over and also used in different recipes, especially in Indian cuisines. It can be had in roasted or fried form. It can be stored for a longer time if kept in air tight containers. The Chinese use it as a part of medicines as it has various medicinal properties too. They use it to strengthen spleen and kidneys.
The Health Benefits Of Eating Fox Nuts
- Fox Nuts are considered superior to dry fruits such as almonds, walnuts, cashew nuts and coconut in terms of sugar, protein, ascorbic acid and phenol content
- It is high in antioxidants and acts as an anti-aging food, helping in preventing white hair, wrinkles, and premature ageing etc.
- Its high fiber content helps to avoid constipation. It helps the body flush out waste and prevents the accumulation of toxins in the body
- It is also an aphrodisiac, helping in fertility issues like premature ejaculation, increasing the quality of semen and also helps women in overcoming infertility
- These nuts are low on saturated fats and Sodium and high on Magnesium, Potassium and helps in controlling high blood pressure and diabetes as well
- Fox Nuts help in controlling palpitation and insomnia as it has calming properties
- It helps in relieving arthritis – numbness and pain in joints
- As it is has astringent properties, it also helps cure diarrhea and have a better appetite
- It strengthens the body and reduces burning sensation and quenches thirst
Here is a my mother’s simple recipe to make it more tastier!
These nuts are a type of seed that could be included in daily cereals or soup to maintain good health. Since it has good amount of protein, it is considered an apt snack for vegetarians. But, because it is neutral in taste, usually no one prefers to eat it raw. If you want to make it tastier, here’s a simple recipe my mother used to make.
- Heat 2 tspn of homemade ghee in a pan
- Add salt and turmeric and stir it for some time. You can even add red chilies, curry leaves and mustard seeds to it
- Add Fox nuts to it and roast for some time
It’s the best snack to have in between meals or with your tea or coffee. It is even eaten as a fasting food in India as it considered very pious and is also used to worship God. Apart from eating it as a snack or in your breakfast cereal, it can also be added to a sweet dish or a vegetable curry or in Rice preparation. So what are you waiting for? Add these Fox Nuts to your diet today!
Found this article helpful? Read up more on nutrition here. To get these tips, recipes and learn more about different foods, speak to a GOQii Coach by subscribing for personalised health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr