“Why are you eating a coconut? It’s so fattening!” This comment was directed at me once and I couldn’t hold myself back and burst into laughter. But, at the same time, I was not surprised at this question. Most people consider it to be a fatty fruit. If that is the case then all those who include it in their daily food intake should be fat. This should be the case not only in India but in many other countries like Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Philippines where coconut is one of the main ingredients used for cooking.
Coconut can be consumed in various ways – fresh, dry form, coconut water, coconut oil, or coconut milk, etc. Interestingly, each form has its own significance. Coconut does have saturated fats (which is not as harmful as vegetable oil) but, it also has unsaturated fats (like polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids), polyphenols, vitamin K, vitamin E and minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and also dietary fiber.
Why Should It Be An Important Aspect Of Your Diet?
- Coconut oil helps in healthy growth of hair and gives it a shine
- It helps control high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure and atherosclerosis as it has 50 % lauric acid
- Thanks to its Vitamin E content, it helps in moisturizing all skin types and it does not have any adverse effect
- It increases immunity as it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties thanks to Lauric acid and Capric acid. These properties also help in digestion and help one find relief from irritable bowel syndrome
- It improves the secretion of insulin, hence controls blood sugar levels as well
- It is good for the bones as it has Calcium and Magnesium
- It helps in healing damaged issues and infections
- MCT’s (medium chain triglycerides) present in coconut help reduce appetite
It is not only a fruit that can be eaten but, it also has water which you can drink. Just like the fruit, Coconut water also has many benefits! All we know about Coconut water is that it is a refreshing drink. While that is true, let’s delve a little deep to know more about it and its benefits.
Benefits of Coconut Water
Besides less sugar, coconut water is packed with sodium, potassium, folic acid, B complex vitamins, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and iron minerals… So many nutrients in just 200ml of water! Drinking Coconut water not provides the aforementioned nutrients but it also helps in many ways to conquer health issues.
- It slows down the ageing process and also can be applied on eczema and acne
- It is good for digestion as it has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties
- It hydrates our body faster than normal water as it has natural electrolytes
- It is definitely healthier than fruit juices because it has fewer calories
- It has anti-carcinogenic and anti-thrombotic properties to reduce cholesterol levels
- It helps in finding relief from UTI and kidney stones as it acts a diuretic
Coconut water has 40-60 calories per 200ml – which is great for your health! More so, there are various uses for coconut oil as well! So what are you waiting for? Add this super fruit to your diet now!
We hope this article helps you! For more on nutrition, check out Healthy Reads or ask an expert by subscribing for personalised health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
Do leave your thoughts in the comments below!