Do you know? body is constantly communicating with you…..
Very small episodes of acidity, bloating, indigestion, etc. says a lot about your lifestyle and overall health. Are you paying attention?
It is important for us to know that about 70% of immune system is located in our gut and the gut absorbs nutrients that support body functions from energy production to hormone balance, skin health to mental health and toxin & waste elimination too.
Here are some easy ways to stay away from bloating, acidity and heartburn, and how to improve overall health by improving gut health.
- Fennel Seeds or Saunf: These seeds have antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory properties and promote the production of gastric enzymes. It works wonderfully in indigestion, bloating, acidity, heartburn post meals and constipation too. Just add 1 tbsp of raw seeds to the water bottle you carry in office. Or have 1 glass of fennel seed water post meals to take care of such symptoms.
- Basil Seeds: They work well in relieving constipation, bloating, naturally detox your body and regulates smooth bowel movements. It works as a natural coolant. You can have a glass of milk with basil seeds few hours before bed time, or make a drink with water, honey and Sabja seeds and have it in mid-morning, or just make a habit of soaking it for 2-3 hours and drinking the water in the morning.
- Fenugreek Seeds: These are rich in fibre and antioxidants, and helps in enhances bowel movement. Take a tsp of fenugreek seed and soak it in 1 cup of water at night and have it in the morning with a glass of lukewarm water if you have long term problems of constipation, indigestion or heartburn. *People experiencing severe acidity should avoid this.
- Lemon Ginger water: This will help strengthen the digestive system and prevent indigestion, nausea, heartburn and bloating. Take a glass of lukewarm water, add 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of ginger juice in it, this will work best for bloating post meals or occasional bloating post heavy meals.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The unfiltered, unpasteurized and raw mother Apple Cider Vinegar has live micro-organisms and help to work towards heartburn & GI stress. A dilution of Apple Cider Vinegar before a meal can help you stimulate acid secretion and reduce gut symptoms. Also, having a tbsp of ACV in 300 ml water in the morning can also help in the same.
- Chewing Gum: Chewing gum after a heavy meal may not only freshen your breath, but it could help fight acid reflux and heartburn because of bi-carbonates in it. Research studies show that chewing gum after a big meal can reduce acid levels in the oesophagus to get rid of heaviness. It will really work.
- Water: Is the body’s basic requirement! A constant supply of water is necessary to replenish the fluids lost through activities such as respiration, perspiration, urination, regulating body temperature, digest food, etc. Try to drink above 2-2.5 L of water throughout the day and it is the answer to all your digestive issues.
- Vegetables & Fruits: Have 1 portion of vegetables in every meal is the best way to help your gut digest the food well and have enough nutrients. Plus the fibre from them helps to ease bowel movement and act as food for micro-organisms. Fruits are best to go for in mid meals to add more soluble fibre and get rid of acidity and bloating.
- Physical Activity: No escape here. Being physically active for 30-45 min is the answer to good health and happy gut. Exercise gets your heart pumping and increases blood flow and oxygen circulation throughout the body. Blood and oxygen are necessary to aid digestion and keep the intestinal muscles healthy. So for constipation, bloating, acidity, heartburn, etc. including some walking, cycling, yoga, etc. will give you better results along with good diet early.
- NO to Sugar, refined flour, fried and processed food, as they are not hosting to good little beings in your gut meaning microbes.
Make sure you follow these simple tips and keep your gut healthy because……
A Happy GUT = A Happy YOU!