A tree native to Mexico, Avocado is one fruit that is nutrient packed as well as has healthy fats thus making it a unique fruit.
Initially, one does get averse to this fruit due to its hard texture but, it is known for its high nutrient value. It has a hard black green outer skin and is extremely creamy inside. Avacados have become an incredibly popular food among health conscious people. And, this does not come as a surprise to me as it does have lots of health properties.
Infact, today, this fruit is easily available in supermarkets. One has a choice to choose either the ripe fruit that is ready to be eaten or buy raw then ripe them and refrigerate it for a week. One should take care it should not be cut because, once cut it gets exposed to air and turns brown and with that the fruit’s nutrient properties get oxidised. Avacados can be consumed daily but, in moderation.
Let’s take a peek into the benefits of Avocado:
- Avocados are rich in phytochemicals, hence helps in increasing immunity.
- It has 4gms of protein higher than any other fruit.
- It has monounsaturated fats (oleic acid) which helps in lowering bad cholesterol.
- The sugar content (fructose) is also less compared to other fruits.
- Avocados are an excellent source of vitamin K, Vitamin B complex, vitamin C, and vitamin E, and viatamin A.
- It contains copper, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. Potassium is an important mineral that most people do get enough of. Avacados are very high in potassium which supports healthy blood pressure levels.
- A medium avocado contains 11 grams of fiber, which is close to half of the daily recommended fibre intake. Fiber can have various important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health.
- It slows down the digestion hence controls the blood sugar level.
As they say all good things come with some bad points. Avacados also has its disadvantages. These are
- One can develop an allergy with this fruit.
- It has saturated fats along with monounsaturated fats which can lead to weight gain.
Avocado can be eaten as it is or in the form of milkshakes, salad, soups and sandwiches. Avocado oil is available in the market and can be used for cooking.
Given all the positive health benefits that Avacado has, it is an excellent reason to always include this healthy fat source when you eat fruits. Without it, a lot of the beneficial plant nutrients will go waste. So do include it to make your diet healthy.
Leave a Reply