Hypertension is one of the major diseases that one develops because of a sedentary lifestyle. Hypertension refers to the increase in the blood pressure level. When the doctor says you are suffering from blood pressure (BP) or that you are Hypertensive, the next step is medication. Medication is considered the only means to bring down the blood pressure levels or hypertension. I would say, no to medication. There are other ways to bring down the BP levels.
Before that we need to know the causes for the Hypertension.
- The major cause of Hypertension is a sedentary lifestyle or no physical activities at all.
- Overweight and obesity also result in Hypertension
- Having excessive amount of salt results in high blood pressure.
- If the stress level is higher it also leads to Hypertension.
- Aging or getting older is also cause for hypertension.
- High level of alcohol consumption as well as smoking result in hypertension.
- High intakes of tea or caffeine result in Hypertension.
- Dehydration also causes hypertension
- Lack of sleep results in increase in Blood pressure levels.
Following are the ways to reduce Hypertension
- Do exercise or indulge in physical activity of a kind regularly. Regular exercise will help to drop down blood pressure. The exercise must consist of targeting more cardiovascular and strength training activities. Isometric contractions (Contracting holding movements) must be avoided in strength training.
- Healthy food habit. Eating healthy food will result in dropping your hypertension levels. The whole day in take consists of targeting all macronutrients (Protein, Carbs and Fats) and micronutrients (Vitamins, Minerals).
- Increase in water intake will also result in bringing down Hypertension. Minimum ten to twelve glass of water are recommended daily
- Cut down on your Tea and Caffeine intake which will help to reduce blood pressure. Instead of tea or coffee go for green tea
- Stop smoking as well as tobacco consumption. It help to reduce blood pressure
- Avoid consuming alcohol
- Cut down on your salt intake if you are consuming excessively.
- Reduce your bodyweight in fats. If you have more fat chances of hypertension is higher. Therefore it is important to maintain your BMI and fat percentage in normal range.
- Avoid taking excessive stress. Reduce your stress by meditating daily for few minutes
In a short, it all boils down to your food habits, physical activity, and stress levels and rest. If we are living a healthy lifestyle there is absolutely no need to take medications for Hypertension.