Now that you’re at home and activity levels have plummeted, it would be wise to pick up healthy habits! And nothing spells healthy better than morning yoga. There is no doubt about the benefits of ancient methods like yoga and pranayama even today.
What Do You Understand About Yoga?
What is it? Is it a form of exercise? Is it meditation? For me, yoga is a way of life. I believe the whole idea behind it is total discipline. It is physical, mental, intellectual and spiritual development. Something that is much needed during self-quarantine. It helps you balance health from a physical, mental and emotional standpoint.
Benefits of Morning Yoga
You can practice yoga in the morning and night as well, although, morning yoga is the best as it cleanses your mind and body. It energizes all day and keeps you disciplined. Let’s explore the benefits of morning yoga!
- Yoga improves flexibility and posture but it’s much more effective in the morning. The fresh air helps us relax our body and make it more flexible.
- We have more energy in the morning and morning yoga enhances it to last all day. Which means more intensity and focus!
- Setting up a morning practice is beneficial as it creates a ritual – it sets the tone for the day. By practicing morning yoga, there are no distractions or tasks that will get in the way – so no excuses for cancelling your session in the morning.
- That fresh morning air helps you deliver more oxygen to the body, breathe better and cleanses your system naturally.
- It also helps your digestive system as metabolism rate is higher in the morning. It increases digestion and keeps all indigestion problems at bay.
- Morning yoga boosts your brainpower and makes your brain more active to study or work.
- It enhances happiness and positivity as it boosts mental clarity and relaxes you. The release of endorphins that early in the morning make your body a more physically comfortable place to live in.
- Disease-fighting white blood cells in the body are able to do their best when our blood flow and lymphatic system have efficient circulation. By moving in a way that feels good first thing in the morning, we essentially ‘wake up’ all the body’s systems, which enhances the flow of circulation and gives the immune system an immediate boost. Gentle inversions like Viparita Karani, Cow Pose and Child Pose are especially effective for stimulating the immune system.
- As a parent, taking time out for your own well being is difficult. Getting up early and practicing morning yoga puts your health first. Only if you are healthy, can you take care of others. A morning yoga practice is a way to know you’ve done something for yourself that day
- Apart from all of the above, morning yoga regulates your sleep rhythm, balances your hormones and helps you build a healthy and consistent routine.
Asanas You Can Practice
Try these yoga poses daily in the morning to increase blood circulation, enhance and stimulate the immune system, improve body function and strengthen your cells, tissues, glands and organs! Also, these poses will help you beat stress, anxiety and depression.
- Suryanamaskar – for over all body workout
- Jivah Bandh – manages and relieves stress
- Simha Mudra – decreases stress and prepares you to face the day by increasing your willpower.
- Sheetali Pranayama – is a process which can cool the body down and give a feeling of calmness.
- Bhramari Pranayama – is one of the great breathing exercises to release the mind of disturbance, anxiety or frustration and get rid of anger.
- Om Recitation – excellent breathing exercises for meditation. Brings stability of mind and improves memory power
- Shavasana – removes nervousness, adds a sense of presence. Very important to start our day peacefully.
- Tratak Drishti – to increase concentration.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama – is the best way of balancing the Tri Dosas in our body. Our body gets ill when Tri Dosas are not in balance. Vaat, Pitta and Kaffa are known as the Tri Dosas (Tri means “three” and the meaning of dosas is impurities). All three are the cause of all diseases. So, it is important to balance them. The way to do that is to practice Anulom Vilom Pranayama regularly. It is the simplest and best way for this.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama – generates heat in the system to help dissolve toxins and waste matter. It adds luster and beauty to your face and helps your skin glow!
If yoga is practiced regularly in the morning, it will help you face the day with balance and a practical approach. Ensure that you do not eat at least 2-3 hours before you begin your practice. So try morning yoga and do share your feedback and changes with us in the comments below!
To learn more about Pranayama, read this article: https://goqii.com/blog/pranayama/.
To begin your yoga practice or learn more, follow our yoga specialists on GOQii Play. Before you begin any yoga practice, do consult your doctor or physician.
Stay safe, stay indoors, be healthy and don’t forget to get active!
Dr kaustubh lokare says
Very nice information and awesome guidance for yoga
Really very happy to say, nice post on the Benefits of Yoga very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up