. Most of us tend to get depressed when things don’t work in our favor. At times, we give a 100% to a task expecting something good in return. When these expectations aren’t met, we succumb to negative thoughts and depression.
Depression drains you of energy and hope. At times, it makes you feel helpless. It makes any task all the more difficult. Depression becomes a problem when it fails to pass and we don’t fight back. Depression is a part and parcel of life and we have to live with it. Being depressed for some time is natural. If it stretches over weeks or months, it could become problematic.
It is important to identify whether we are really depressed or we are just upset. It is easy to work on it once you know for sure. If we are upset, it is just a matter of time and everything is normal. If we are in depression, the sinking feeling of helplessness, loneliness and other negative feelings go on for weeks or months on end with no end in sight.
Depression is unhealthy for your mind and body but you can fight it!
Here Are Some Simple Ways To Overcome Depression
- Get Into a Routine: If you feel depressed have a routine and follow it regularly
- Start Small & Stay Focused: If you feel the work you are doing is too much, break it into small tasks. For instance, if you are unable to walk 10 kms at a stretch, then start with 1 km and gradually increase it. Eventually, you will be able to complete 10 km at a stretch
- Talk to Your Friends: Talk to a friend you trust. You will feel relaxed and your thought process will change
- Sleep: Depression leads to issues with sleep. We should aim for at least 8 hours of sound sleep
- Eat Healthy: There is no diet that can fix depression. It is better to keep an eye on what we eat. If Depression makes you feel like overeating, then keep portion control in mind
- Challenge Negative Thoughts: To overcome depression, a lot of work is mental. Change the way you think. We tend to leap to the worst possible conclusions when depressed. The next time you are feeling terrible about yourself, use logic as a natural depression treatment. Ask yourself why you are feeling this way? Is this really true? Can you do anything about it? Is it possible to let go? It takes practice to clear your mind, but in time, you can beat back those negative thoughts before they get out of control
- Exercise: It temporarily boosts endorphins and makes you feel good. It may also have long-term benefits for people with depression. Regular exercise seems to encourage the brain to rewire itself in positive ways
The solution to a depression-free life is to use all the tools you can to get better. If you feel that your depression is getting worse, seek professional help. Needing additional help doesn’t mean you are weak, it is the most practical solution. It is completely possible to get lost in negative thoughts. Just remember that depression can be treated and you can feel better!