Although tea drinking has been associated with health benefits for centuries, only in recent years have its medicinal properties been investigated scientifically. One must recognize the healthy power of tea while getting the most out of their cups.
Tea’s health benefits are largely due to its high content of flavonoids — plant-derived compounds that are antioxidants. Green tea is one of the healthiest beverages and the best food source of a group called ‘Catechins’. Catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties.
Of course, there is no single super food which can protect you from disease, how healthy are your eating habits and how active you are makes a big difference.
Here are some pointers giving information on various aspects of green tea varying from how to select a particular brand to its health benefits.
- While looking for a Green Tea, look for brands that use all-natural ingredients and have no artificial preservatives. Also, try and opt for these 2 varieties of green tea whenever possible:
(I) Matcha: The green tea leaves are ground into a fine powder, which you can whisk into water for tea. Since you consume the actual leaves, you get more antioxidants than from other green teas.
(II) Hojicha: Made from green tea leaves that are roasted until they’re dark brown. Because it’s picked at the end of the season and roasted at a higher heat than other teas, hojicha contains lower levels of caffeine.
- Ideally, skip the tea bag and opt for fresh leaves. That’s because, with green tea, you want to pour hot water directly over the leaves to extract their essence. Using a tea bag reduces the potency of the chemical reaction. If bagged tea is the only option, cut open the bag and pour water over the contents directly. As for the brewing bit itself, don’t let the water come to a full boil. Instead, pour the water over the tea right before it boils and then let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes.
- One can take 3-5 cups of green tea in a day. It is advisable to drink green tea in between meals i.e. more than one hour after breakfast and lunch because it contain tannin which may decrease the absorption of iron and folic acid.
- Green tea apparently helps regulate glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating. This can prevent high insulin spikes and resulting fat storage.
- Green tea contains less caffeine than Coffee but enough to produce an effect. It also contains the amino acid L-Theanine, which can work synergistically with Caffeine to improve brain function.
- Green tea has the properties to lower total and LDL Cholesterol, as well as protects the LDL particles from oxidation. Observational studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Green tea also boosts the metabolic rate and increase fat burning. This in turn helps in reducing weight.
- Green tea has power anti-oxidants that may protect against cancer. Multiple studies have indicated that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of various types of cancer. Tea catechins are strong antibacterial and antiviral agents which make them effective for treating everything from influenza to cancer. In some studies green tea has been shown to inhibit the spread of many diseases.
- The bioactive compounds in green tea can have various protective effects on nervous system and may reduce the risk of both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, the two most common neuro degenerative disorders.
- Green tea gives a feeling of satiety thus reducing the quantity of food one eats.
Ramesh D. Bhor says
Prachi, awesome information. Your attitude regarding health care towards patients & humankind is outstanding . Keep it up & all the best for future. Keep growing.
Rajendra P Joshi says
Kumud S Wangnue says
that is a wonderful piece of information, thank you for sharing
Renee Amonkar says
Very interesting facts on Green tea
I feel I suffer from acidity if I have more than one cup of green tea ? what could be the reason for this?
Trishala Chopra says
It is not necessary that your acidity is caused by more cups of green tea. It might be because of long gaps in your meals and if you have green tea after a long gap, acid production increases and you might get a re-flux. Monitor your food patterns and check your food timings. You should not have more than 2 and half hours of gap. Once you manage this, acidity problem wont be there.
Pandey Jee says
It was interesting to read your blog. We mentioned that green contains high amount of flavonoid. In this post you used LDL what is this. I want to use green tea for weight loss how to take it ?
Manu Arora says
Fantastic post! It is very helpful for me…. green tea is indeed endowed with many health benefits.
This is a great and detailed information about green tea. I did not know that Catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E! After drinking green tea for many years, i really noticed most of the benefits. In addition to that it helped me to get rid off my stress while studying. Green tea is a powerful drink.
Green tea is one of the healthiest drink. It is rich in antioxidants and many more essential elements which can help for weight loss.
Amazing blog, very interesting and helpful.
Green tea has always proven to be a very healthy and effective way not only for weight loss but for many other health-related benefits.
You can always have an organic and guilt-free pleasure on GreenFit
best green tea drinks says
This is a great and detailed information about green tea. I did not know that Catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E! After drinking green tea for many years, i really noticed most of the benefits.
Kavita Mevada says
How Many cups of green tea a day is a common question for everyone who likes this tea.
Very nicely written & explained. Loved it!
Peter Dawson says
Thanks for article
your blog is related to my niche .
Green Tea is more benefits some organic green tea also availbale in delhi .
Great information, thanks for sharing this informative blog with us. Keep sharing!!
Incredible data, much obliged for imparting this instructive blog to us. Continue sharing!!
Aman Verma says
Wondering which is the best green tea brand? find out the top 5 green tea brands which shows the result very fast. Know about the benefits and side effects of green tea. At which tie we should consume green tea so that it can result fast.
Nisha Garg says
It was interesting to know about Hojicha and Matcha and the super amazing benefits they bring along. I really love the way to construct your blogs helping the people get more closer to their health. While green tea is a great tonic for reducing weight, it is equally important to do your daily work outs. Tencha is the original form of Matcha which is even more aromatic and healthy. It is the pure form of the tea leaves while Matcha is the powdered form of Tencha!!
After reading this blog I really had a lot of doubts about Green tea online that were dispelled. Reading this blog was a real pleasure for me. Thank you for sharing
Thank for sharing a wonderful information related to Green tea. i really like this blog…This is very good article and keep posting……
shivakumar sasaaya says
Wonderful article with interesting facts about green tea. May I ask which green tea is your Favourite pick
Best Green Teas says
Amazing article, very nice and useful.
Green tea has continually been established to be a really healthy and effective drink to all like Tulasi green tea, Matcha green tea and Jasmine green tea etc., You can continually have Best Green Teas to Start Your Healthy Journey on sasaaya
Thankyou & Keep posting!
sASAAYA pRECIOUS TEAS
This Article is shown by the Great content of GREEN tea It Makes Mind Reliefs
Thanks to tells about green tea benefits. Most – people like to drink green tea – because it’s good for a healthy drink.
Thanks for sharing green tea benefits. Mostly people like to drink green tea – because it’s good for health and makes you feel energetic and refreshed.
Thanks Prachi, for sharing amazing information about green tea. It’s really helpful.