Are you planning to have some great health-related New Year resolutions? Every Year we set some resolution for ourselves for the New Year and end up with no result because of inconsistency in fulfilling the tasks.
This year let’s set some realistic goals and give a blow to our hidden talents. We always think that we’ll start the New Year with some regular exercising but due to boredom we are unable to continue. So try new things so as to make your workouts interesting.
The easiest is to start with remembering some of those childhood games and activities that you liked and played the most. Try them out again for a change. If you cannot remember them here are some exercises which will help you to stick to your routine and you will also enjoy achieving your fitness levels.
- Roller-skating: Roller-skating as an exercise provides a lot of health benefits. Skating offers an effective cardiovascular workout, endurance training and strength training to build strong muscles in the pelvis and legs. Balance and coordination can also be improved by regular skating.
- Hula hooping: Hula hoop is when you rotate your hip round and round. I am sure everyone heir childhood would have attempted this at least once. As an exercise, I can say that hula hoop is a bona fide piece of workout equipment that can tone your thighs, abdominals, gluteals, and arms. You barely feel like you’re working out while doing Hula hoop.
- Dancing: Whether you like to jump or jive, tap or tango, shake your belly or your booty, dancing is one of the most enjoyable ways to get some exercise. If you dance 30 min in a day you will enjoy your day and feel very fit without realizing that you have worked out. Also, there is no age limit for the dance, anyone can dance. Regular dancing is great for fitness, maintaining strong bones, improving posture and muscle strength, increasing balance and coordination, and beating stress.
To get more information about Dancing you can check another blog written by my colleague Shimpli Patil. Let’s dance… for a better health and a better you!!
- Trampolining: Everyone likes to jump. So we can relate this exercise to the above mentioned dancing exercise. If you know how to jump, you know dancing. Jumping itself is a great exercise but if you are jumping on a hard floor, you might hurt your legs, knees, so the best option is to use Trampoline. Jump workouts on Trampoline are not only a quick way to tighten, tone and build core strength, you can also shred calories and boost cardio as effectively as going for a run — without the stress on your joints.
- Water exercise: As a kid most of us enjoyed playing in the water, be it in bath tub at home or in the pool. Believe me that the water exercises is a great way to stay fit without hurting your body. Water workout burns tons of calories but feels like an easy play. To know more you can read from the following link:
One-Stop Shop Workout – Swimming:
- Cycling: I still remember that my school was approximately 8 kms away from my home and I use to travel by cycle to school every day. It was fun and the same time kept me healthy. Cycling is indeed one of the best ways to be fit. My favourite weekend activity has always been cycling and every time I would pick a new route and end up exploring the place. Cycling is the easiest way of exercise because you can ride a bicycle almost anywhere, at any time of the year, and without spending a fortune. Cycling builds strength, muscle tone, builds stamina, improves your cardiovascular fitness, improves heart health and reduces stress. This also improves the mental health.
Cycling is good for your coordination: Moving both feet around in circles while steering with both your hands and your body’s own weight is good practice for your coordination skills.
- Skipping: How many of us remember our childhood, when we used to skip and even had challenges among ourselves to find out who could skip the fastest. Those memories of my childhood bring back a smile on my face. I used to enjoy those skipping moments. There were several games we could play with the skipping rope and it was one of the cheapest games that one could purchase. The best part of a skipping rope was that people of all ages could use it.
You can read more on skipping in my blog – Did you know how useful a ‘SKIPPING’ rope can be?
- Running: As a child all of us have ran so much while playing but as we grow older all these activities somehow comes to a halt thereby forcing many to lead an unhealthy life. Nowadays running is becoming a very popular sport and a craze among many. This in turn has also led to the number of marathons being organized in a year. According to me one of your New Year resolutions could be to take up running seriously and become a runner.
Here is another blog written by my colleague Mitali on how to prepare for a marathon- Are you running the Marathon? Here is your guide to training:
- Outdoor Games:It’s always best to play outdoor games. If you remember most of us from our generation would remember their times of playing in the parks but sadly nowadays kids are seldom found playing outside and are found more busy with their X-Box, video games, Ipad etc, which lead them to the unhealthy lifestyle. I would suggest you start going to park or nearest ground to play outdoor games like cricket or Foot Ball, which will then encourage your kids also to play outside. For more information about Cricket and Foot Ball, you can read my following Blog – CRICKET and FOOT BALL—Your healthy path to fitness!:
- Hiking: Hiking especially with friends: If you like to explore new places, try to go Hiking, it will help you not only to explore new places but, also increase your strength and stamina, because you have to walk on the mountain which really needs balancing. Also, while doing Hiking, you are increasing your physical and mental health, because it will give you stress relieve from your whole week work burden.
Once you have decided the resolution for your new year, try to check on it in every interval of 15 days and ask yourself one question – are you following your Resolution? If No – get back on track and then enjoy your healthy lifestyle.