When it comes to getting active and losing weight, people generally get confused about where to start. So, let’s look at this effective Tabata routine which is simple and easy. TABATA (also called Tabata protocol) is a type of HIIT (high intensity interval training). It originated when a Japanese Scientist Dr. Izumi Tabata and his team from The National Institute of Fitness and Sports at Kagoshima, Japan were working on the fact that shorter high intensity workouts followed by a shorter period of rest can impact the body better rather than longer periods of continuous workout.
The structure of programme is like:
- Exercise hard for 20 seconds
- Rest for 10 seconds
- Complete 8 rounds
A combination of any exercise can be used in Tabata. It targets a wider range of muscles and helps in burning fat during and after workouts.
Three major health benefits of this Effective Tabata routine are:
- Helps in burning more fat in a shorter period of time
- Helps in increasing endurance
- As it is high intensity training, it needs to be focused & attentive, thus, increases efficiency.
Before You Begin, Keep in Mind:
- A beginner has to first check his/her flexibility, efficiency and endurance before picking up the sets of exercises
- Make sure to complete a dynamic warm up before you begin this easy and effective Tabata routine.
- You can choose a group of 3-4 exercises for a week and then add some other exercises one by one depending upon your stamina.
- Don’t do exercises in a hurry. Rather do it in proper posture and manner.
- Always keep a stopwatch with you.
Exercise To Include In Your Tabata Routine
There are basic 10 exercises which you can include in your Tabata protocol when you are planning to start. These are:
- Burpees: Toughest among all exercises and increases endurance, strength & power. It is most effective but for a beginner can be placed at last.
- Lunges: Can be included in beginners protocol & difficulty level can be increased once you are comfortable in traditional lunges.
- Jump Rope: It is an effective and portable form of exercise and can be included in the beginners list.
- Squat Jack: It combines two bodyweight exercises which are squats and jumping jacks. Can be safely included in the list.
- Tabata Sprints: It starts with 20 seconds of sprints followed by 10 seconds of walking, jogging or rest.
- Push Ups: One of the most simple and familiar exercises which can be included in the list.
- Super man: This will strengthen the back and core muscles and can be included in the list.
- Plank jack: These are simple. The difficulty level can be increased at one’s comfort ability.
- Mountain Climbers: Very effective for legs and most suitable for beginners.
- Windshield Wipers: Easy to do and can be included in the list and variations can be done later.
From the list above, you can choose any 4-5 exercises and start practicing according to the Tabata protocol and always start with high energy and not in a hurry.
For more effective workouts and to learn more about fitness, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to our live, interactive classes on GOQii PRO, where our experts will guide and motivate you in real time. Book a class now from the GOQii App.