‘Rice’ is a staple for Asians. With people getting increasingly health conscious and with superfoods coming into play, conversations around ‘Rice’ and its various varieties have also increased among the health enthusiast
White rice in the current times has become a thing of the past and the health conscious people are moving to red, brown, quinoa and black rice. Yes you are reading its right ‘Black Rice’
Black Rice or also known as ‘Forbidden Rice’ is a variety of rice that is considered to be very healthy. It is a rare and a very old variety of rice which has been grown in India for centuries. It is mainly grown in the North East (called as Chak Hao) and the southern parts (called as Kavuni~Tamil) of India.
Simply put, when you look at the rice varieties look at the colour of the rice, the darker the shade of rice, the more nutrition it has. By that yardstick ‘Black Rice’ is the gold standard in rice varieties.
So let us look at some of the health benefits of this amazing rice.
1. Rich in Antioxidants: Black rice is a grain which is super rich and loaded with Antioxidants. The Anthocyanin content found in black rice is way more than most grains and this is what makes this grain stand out in comparison to other superfoods like quinoa, red rice, etc. Studies have shown that the Anthocyanin antioxidants in grains help the body to protect against heart diseases, cancer and many more.
- Rich in Fibre: Black rice is loaded with fibre and minerals. A typical bowl of 100gms of black rice serving has over 4.9 grams of fibre. This is double the amount of fibre available in brown rice. So, if you are looking to include some rich fibre in your diet then it is better to start consuming Black Rice than any other varieties of rice.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties: Black rice is a natural healing food. Research has shown Black rice to reduce inflammatory compounds in your body and increase the anti-inflammatory compounds. This increase in the anti-inflammatory compounds help in reducing inflammation in various diseases like cancer, arthritis and allergies.
- A natural detoxifying agent for your body: Black rice is a rich and natural detoxifying agent. Studies have shown that the phytonutrients in black rice help detoxify your body and remove harmful toxins from your liver. So, next time you throw a party, have a detox week by consuming Black rice.
- A gluten-free grain: Black rice, like other varieties of rice, is naturally gluten-free. So, if you are allergic to gluten and have the Celiac disease (Gluten insensitivity), then you should consider having black rice in your daily diet plan.
- Helps fight diabetes: Black Rice bran contains fibre, which in turn helps glucose to be absorbed by your body over a longer period of time. Research has proven that eating whole grains like Black Rice helps your body lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and also keeps your weight in check in addition to boosting your energy levels. So, if you are diabetic then you should consider substituting Black Rice to white rice in your daily diet as it way better and helps fight diabetes.
- Your weight loss partner: Black Rice is a whole grain and super rich in fibres. This combination helps your body reduce signals of hunger thus helping in preventing overeating. In addition, researchers have found out that whole grains like Black Rice help prevent insulin resistance in your body which leads to and is related to the risk of becoming overweight/obese. If you are someone who is looking to reduce your weight, consider including Black Rice in your weight loss regime.
- promotes healthy heart: A healing food like Black Rice has been shown to reduce the atherosclerotic plaque formation in the arteries which is the main reason for a heart attack and stroke. In addition to this Black Rice also helps to reduce the 2 common factors in heart disease, namely LDL, triacylglycerol and total cholesterol. Consider including Black Rice to promote a healthy heart and keep heart-related ailments at bay.
Hope you like this article, do let me know your views and any other health benefits I may have missed in the comments section below.
Ps Note: Black Rice is available on GOQii Store