It was a normal day for me. As usual I was sitting in my cabin wrapping up my pending work for the day, and suddenly I find a teenage youth barging into my cabin. His first question was how could his friend who was following a diet prescribed by me, lose so much of weight in spite of having banana’s daily twice a day. I looked at him and replied Why not? And to that he again replied back how you could lose weight with a fattening fruit like banana?.
Majority of my clients, keep banana at bay, in spite of loving the fruit just because they think that it is fattening.
Well! I would like to take this opportunity to inform each one of you out there that other the Avocado, none of the fruits have FATS in them. More often than not fruits are cut off from the diet list of an individual without proper reasoning given and individuals assume that fruits are fattening and therefore avoid it out of fear
Banana, also known as a prepackaged fruit, that comes in a yellow jacket, is an all seasons fruit and widely available across the world. The fruit is high on simple carbohydrates, but if taken in right quantity and at the right time, it will never make you put on fat in your body.
Oops, did I say fat …… Well the explanation for this is that any natural food which contains simple carbohydrates or is high on calories, if eaten at wrong time or in wrong quantities then your body counts that as excess and stores it. The stored form is ‘Fat’.
Bananas are super food. It can combat depression, cure hangover, relieve morning sickness, protect against kidney cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and blindness, mosquito itch, helps cure acidity, bloating, cramping…and the list can go on. I have chalked out few benefits of Banana
BENEFITS OF BANANA
- It helps overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan which is converted to Serotonin-the feel good factor.
- Protect against all types of Cramping: muscle cramp, stomach cramp, night time leg cramp because of the Potassium content of Banana
- Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type 2 diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with production of white blood cell, all due to high levels of Vitamin B6
- It is high on potassium and low in salt, which helps lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
- High on fiber, it helps mobilize bowel movement, thus relieving constipation.
- Bananas are natural antacid and helps relieve acidity and heartburn.
- Want to Quit Smoking? Have a Banana as they have high levels of B-vitamins, phosphorus & magnesium to speed recovery from effects of withdrawal.
- Rub the inside of the banana peel to help relieve the itching of an insect bite.
One more question often asked is what is the best time to have them?
First thing in the morning before starting an activity, post an exercise, trek, dance, as a meal. Have them without fear.