Summer is officially here and it often indicates fun and sunshine. Unfortunately, that also brings unbearable heat induced illnesses such as sunburn, heat exhaustion, stroke, etc. Therefore, a variation in weather calls for the change in our routine, dietary habits and activity that suits the weather. So, here are some tips to help you enjoy a healthy summer!
Safety Tips For a Healthy Summer
- Hydration: Heat and sweat in summers may lead to dehydration causing sleep issues, and headaches. So, no matter what time of the day it is, water is very important to prevent dehydration. Keep the body hydrated and drink a minimum of 2-3 litres (8-12 glasses) per day. In addition to water, buttermilk, lemon juice, aloe vera juice, mint and amla juice with rock salt can also be included (prefer fresh ingredients).
- Have healthy and light meals: One’s appetite decreases in summers because of the excessive heat but it is important to provide nutrition to the body. Prefer light, small and frequent meals which can be easily digested by the body. Prefer more fresh fruits and veggies with high water content such as melons, oranges, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks: Caffeine (tea, coffee) and fizzy drinks (soft drinks) dehydrate the body and also cause gastritis. Try to reduce the consumption of these products for a healthy summer! If you do have them, pair them with nuts, unsalted popcorns, plain peanuts, foxt nuts, etc.
- Wear the right clothes: Always prefer to wear loose and light clothes in summers as they allow the free flow of air, speed up the evaporation process and carry off the excess heat from the body, keeping it cool.
- Be active: Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes, 5 times a week. It’s the best way to keep the body active. It also improves blood circulation in the body, preventing headaches and migraine attacks during summer. One can opt for indoor activities like swimming, yoga, dancing, aerobics or outdoor activities like walking, jogging, running, o cycling. The best time for outdoor activities is before 8.00am or after 6.00pm
Most importantly, the threat of COVID-19 is still looming over us. So don’t forget to wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth. Always carry a sanitizer and wash your hands thoroughly once you’re back home. Also, maintain safe distance and follow all social distancing protocols set by the World Health Organization (WHO).
We hope this article helps you have a healthy summer! Do leave your thoughts in the comments below! For more summer tips, check out Healthy Reads or tune in to LIVE sessions by experts on GOQii Play.
Beat the heat and #BeTheForce