I do not know one person who does not like Sugarcane and does not crave for Sugarcane juice when thirsty. Sugarcane juice with ice is a hit among Mumbaiites. On a hot sultry afternoon in Mumbai have a glass of sugarcane juice and see how it rejuvenates and energises you. Sugarcane is known to provide energy and glucose to our body and gives us strength to continue with our work. But, did you know that Sugarcane has much more health benefits than just providing glucose to our body?
Sugarcane juice is not only like any other sweet juice but it has many other nutrients. Sugarcane juice is extracted from the cane by pressing it through iron rollers. It is nutritious and refreshing. It contains about 15 % natural sugar and is rich in organic salts and vitamins. The juice can also be used for drinking or sweetening. In hot summer days, it is a cooling drink. A little lime juice may be mixed in the juice to improve its flavour.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SUGARCANE JUICE
- The reason Sugarcane is a popular drink during summers is because it gives an instant kick of energy and quenches the thirst. Sugarcane juice is good source of glucose which as we know, helps to re-hydrate the human body and gives it a boost of energy. So instead of your artificial energy drink, the next time you feel fatigued or dehydrated, consider drinking a glass of cane juice.
- Even though cane juice tastes very sweet and has high sugar content, it is good for diabetic patients. It contains natural sugar which has low glycemic index that prevents steep rise in blood glucose levels in diabetics, so it can act as a substitute of aerated drinks for them. However, people with Type-2 diabetes should consume it in moderation and after consultation with their doctors.
- Sugarcane juice is considered an alkaline forming food because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese in it. Diseases like cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment and that’s why studies show that it is effective in fighting cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
- As sugar cane juice boosts protein levels in the body, it helps in maintaining the health of the kidney. Taken in a diluted form, with lime juice and coconut water, sugar cane juice helps in reducing the burning sensation which is commonly associated with urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, kidney stones and prostatitis.
- The antioxidants in sugarcane juice help to fight infections and boost the immune system of the body. It also protects the liver against infections and helps in keeping the bilirubin levels in control. This is one of the reason that doctors’ advice jaundice patients to drink sugar cane juice, as it is one of the few things that gets easily digested and does not put any pressure on the liver and also helps in reducing the bilirubin levels.
- Sugarcane juice also acts a good digestive aid due to the presence of potassium. It helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
- Studies show that sugarcane juice protects against tooth decay and bad breath due to its high mineral content. So save yourself the next trip to the dentist and drink a glass of fresh sugarcane juice to get shiny white teeth.
- In one of my earlier blogs I had mentioned the effects of nutrients on nails, deficiency of nutrients in the body can easily be noticed by looking at the health and condition of your nails. If you have brittle discoloured nails that have white spots on them, then it’s time to add sugarcane juice to your diet. It contains everything to give you those strong shiny nails that would look pretty even without a nail polish.
- Sugarcane juice has been discovered to be good for those people who are struggling with febrile disorders. Febrile disorders result in fevers, which can lead to seizures and loss of proteins in the body. It is quite common in infants and children. Sugarcane juice helps in compensating the lost protein and helps in recovery.
- When it comes to healthy skin, alpha hydroxy acids are supposed to have lot of benefits. They fight acne, reduce blemishes, prevent ageing and help in keeping the skin hydrated. One of the most effective alpha hydroxy acids is glycolic acid and sugarcane, is one of its few natural sources. Just apply sugar cane juice to your skin and let it dry or add it to your favourite face mask and scrub. Use it regularly to see the effect.
While the advantages of sugarcane juice are many, it is essential to ensure that it is extracted in a hygienic manner. It’s also important to use and consume the juice as soon it extracted because it tends to get oxidized within 15 minutes.
Well! So Sugarcane is not only beneficial for your health but also good for your skin. It’s a miracle drink for a healthy lifestyle which is also tasty. So let go of those artificial drinks and soft drinks and go for ‘Sugarcane Juice’. But, be safe and drink it keeping the hygiene conditions in mind…