Do you often get pain in the forehead or between your eyes? Do you feel your head is about to explode……..
Is there always a feeling of face swelling, nose stuffy and congestion? Do you feel pain in upper teeth? Then this is nothing but an indication of having SINUS.
Let us understand what is Sinus and then learn about its precautions and cure?
Sinus points are basically air spaces in your skull lined with mucous membranes. Most people have four sets of nasal sinuses.
- Two in the forehead above the eyes
2. One inside each cheekbone
3. A group of them, called the Ethmoid sinuses, behind the bridge of the nose
4. Another group behind the nose and underneath the brain called the sphenoid sinuses
These sinus points are like fingerprints
So, If there is an infection in these points …it leads to a condition called –SINUSITIS.
It’s inflammation of the sinus cavity due to a virus, bacteria or fungus. Tiny, hair-like structures called cilia move mucus across sinus membranes and towards an exit. All of your sinus cavities connect to your nose to allow a free exchange of air and mucus. Infections or allergies make sinus tissues inflamed, red, and swollen.
But, nature is flooded with remedies for all conditions and here are certain foods which help to cure the sinusitis.
1. SPICY FOODS: Hot spices like pepper, chillis(capsicum), jalapenos, relieve sinus congestion as they help release the mucus that causes a stuffed nose. Spicy foods help to open the sinus cavity and promote the restoration of normal breathing.
2. GARLIC: Contains an enzyme allicin that destroys bacteria and viruses that cause sinusitis
3.Vitamin E found in nuts, seeds and vegetable oils helps sinus congestion
4.Zinc found in lean meat, poultry, liquorice seafood helps to relieve sinus congestion.
5.Warm herbal teas like Peppermint, ginger, chia liquorice, and holy basil teas are some of the best for your sinuses and throat during a bout of sinusitis. Tea moistens mucus membrane, helping to clear sinus network
6.Chicken soup contains an amino acid called cysteine that causes a runny nose and clears out the nasal congestion.
7.Leafy green veggies, tomatoes, oranges and yellow fruits and veggies contain vitamin A that helps build healthy mucus membrane.
8.Grapefruits, oranges, lemon are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and thus help clear sinus congestion. Oxidation damage can contribute to chronic sinusitis. Antioxidants protect the mucus membranes from free radical damage.
9. Pineapple is rich in antioxidants which protect the delicate mucus membranes from damage. The enzymes in pineapple — bromelain also break down the junk that builds up in sinuses and reduces inflammation.
10. Coconut oil is very good at reducing inflammation and also in killing many bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Try oil pulling with a spoonful of coconut oil and you’ll notice your sinuses clear up too. Simply swish around a spoonful of it for five to ten minutes and spit it out.
11.Turmeric /Ginger Root: Turmeric root is wonderful, fragrant and contains natural anti-inflammatory curcumin. This spice is also an anti-oxidant. When combined with spicy ginger root and brewed for hot tea, this combination can help loosen mucus from clogged nasal passages, alleviate sinus pressure, and make you feel better all around. Ginger root also has the added bonus of calming an upset stomach – a frequent side-effect of excessive night time sinus drainage.
12.Apple cider vinegar:. It acts as a boon for sinus infections. Firstly, it is a natural antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory that can kill the destructive microorganisms that cause the infection. Secondly, it helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level, which helps to break up mucus and discourage the proliferation of condition.
13.Steam Inhalation: Break up thick mucus with a few drops of Eucalyptus or Peppermint oil in hot water. With your face, down over the water, drape a towel over the back of your head and inhale the steam
14. Salt water Rinse: If you are prone to sinus infections and you don’t have a Neti pot, get one. This handy little device makes it easy to irrigate your nasal cavity, clearing out unwanted mucus and any inhaled contaminants that may be caught in there. Use the pot twice a day for optimum relief.
WORST FOODS FOR SINUS CONGESTION:
- Caffeine weakens your adrenal glands and causes sinus congestion
- Fried foods/Processed foods containing additives are best avoided during a sinus infection
- Foods with high sugar content especially ice cream worsen sinus infection
- Refined carbs like bread, pasta, and rice do not help during sinus congestion.
- Fermented foods like cheese worsen sinus.
- Starchy heavy foods like noodles are no for people with a sinus problem.
- Milk is known to worsen a sinus congestion as it thickens mucus and promote microbial growth.
- Foods high in saturated fats like egg yolk, meat are to be avoided during a sinus infection.
Keep your sinus clean and relax, breathe refresh and Stay healthy!!