In my career as a nutritionist, I have come across three main issues that most people suffer from and these are Diabetes, Hypothyroid, and Acidity.
The reason for these issues to develop is only one—Unhealthy Lifestyle. But, unfortunately, while most are aware of this close to 90% are unable to make lifestyle changes and thus end up getting medicines as recommended by their doctors.
Popping pills seem easier than to bring about a lifestyle change and arrest the issue at the initial stages. Things get difficult when the results are not as expected and are slow. This is precisely when one starts searching for some natural remedies from natural foods.
I am listing down certain good home remedies which actually use natural food and cure your issues, help you get fit with proper healthy lifestyle.
Best home remedies for treating diabetes
- Mix 1/2tsp Turmeric + 1tsp Aamla (Gooseberry) powder+1/2tbsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds powder in a half glass of water and take daily morning on empty stomach. (good for retinopathy)
- 1tbsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds soaked overnight in ½ cup water and chew it next day in the morning empty stomach.
- Dry seed powder of Jamun (Balck Berry) fruits have to be used -1tsp twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water
- Take 40-80ml of decoction of banyan tree bark. Boil 20gm of bark in 4 cups of water, reduce till 1 cup and then drink daily.
- Using Tejpatta (Bay Leaf) in food helps to bring sugar levels under control.
- Juice of Karela (Bitter gourd) -20ml daily should be taken in morning. Bittergourd help diabetics with insulin secretion, glucose oxidation and other processes.
- Soak Ladyfingers (Okra) in water overnight and then drink that water on an empty stomach to control diabetes.
- Paneer Ka Phool” is also known as Rennet, is a kind of Indian flower very effective to control diabetes. You have to put 8-10 pieces of flower in a glass of water and soak it the whole night. In the morning squeeze the flower & filter it & and then have it. Its taste is not so good but effective. Regular use will give you the best results. First, try only 5 flowers, then gradually increase to 8-12.
Home remedies for thyroid
- Use cold pressed coconut oil as it contains medium chain TG, which improves thyroid function.
- Take 2 tbsp of Apple Cider vinegar, mix little honey and drink this solution daily.
- Omega 3 rich compounds like fish oil, fish oil supplements, flaxseeds, chia seeds reduce thyroid.
- Licorice Herb: The use of Licorice herb helps to promote balance within the thyroid gland and also promote more energy levels in the body –keeping fatigue at bay. It contains triterpenoid glycyrrhetinic acid which may aid in stopping the growth of more invasive thyroid cancer cells.
- Evening Primrose oil: This herb is full of Amino acids and these acids are critical for optimal thyroid health. They aid in improving thyroid function and alleviate the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, such as heavy menstrual periods and hair loss. Just a tablespoon a day is the general recommendation to decrease inflammation and promote thyroid health.
- Ginseng: This herb helps to improve underactive thyroid and it can also address the fatigue that is associated with it. It is best to take one dose prior to lunch and another prior to breakfast–about 100-200mg each time.
- Black walnut: This contains a high dose of iodine which is helpful for an underactive thyroid. You can have one –two of this nut.
Home remedies for acidity
- Mix one tsp of baking soda in a glass of fresh water and drink.
- After a meal pops up a piece of chewing gum for 30 min to relieve heartburn.
- Natural antacid—full ripen banana acts as a buffer against acid reflux
- Sipping a cup of ginger water lukewarm, soothes your tummy and acts as an acid buffer.
- Being alkaline in nature, chewing 1 tsp of good quality yellow mustard helps to relieve acidity.
- Chamomile tea flavoured with honey or lemon is a very good remedy.
- 1tbsp of Apple cider vinegar with a glass of water acts as a great antacid.
NOTE: These all remedies can be used with your current medications.
Let’s bring our natural food remedy into practice and keep levels under control along with practising a healthy lifestyle.