In the ancient days in India plants were used as a medicine to cure health issues. Later allopathy was invented and it made life simpler. During my days of college, I came across this magical grass called ‘Wheatgrass’ and it’s amazing benefits to our health.
Wheat grass itself cannot be eaten as it is hard to digest. Interestingly, it can be grown indoors and outdoors by putting wheat seeds in water and then harvesting the leaves; which also occupies less space. It is available in various forms such as juice outside parks, powders and in capsule form. But, the ideal way to have it is in the fresh juice form to get enough nutrients. Wheatgrass is used as a concentrated source of nutrients in powder and capsules.
Wheatgrass is a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium, and has negligible amount of proteins.
Wheatgrass is generally considered safe. A word of caution as it may cause nausea, headaches, swelling to your throat due to the bacteria present in it (due to contamination) as it is grown in soil or water.
- It is rich in chlorophyll (similar to haemoglobin) and iron which increases blood cell count.
- Lowers blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways.
- Wheat grass juice has alkaline minerals which reduces acidity also gastrointestinal tract problems.
- It detoxifies liver and the bloodstream.
- It has powerful ability to fight against tumours.
- If applied externally on the skin which eliminate itching immediately.
- It prevents hair from greying.
- It helps in stabilising blood sugar levels.
- Drinking wheat grass juice will help in clearing sinuses by breaking up the mucus.
- It helps in increasing immunity.
Very informative! Thank you!
Shweta Pandey says
Thanks for this info. I was unaware that it has such unique nutrients.
In what quantity and frequency it should be consumed?
Suppose I grow it at home, can it be harvested again and again?
Avanish Shrivastava says
Thank you , for this information .
How do we remove possible contamination and/or remove bacteria to make it safe for consumption?
Very good information about wheat grass juice
Knowledgeable article as well as informative ,thank you for sharing.
This is very useful website. This article is really helpful. Thank you so much for sharing this great knowledge.
Jerome Ngugi says
Quite an interesting read.
What would you recommend as the best method to extract this juice from wheatgrass?
One that helps retain all these wonderful nutrients it packs.