Acidity is a very common problem among people. Most usually complaint of acidity due to various reasons. And, many take temporary treatment but, know what has caused it or what is it exactly?
This aspect of not knowing what the problem is worrying me. If the issue of acidity relapses then one has to develop certain habits which will help permanently. Just because it is a disorder most tend to ignore it. But, acidity over a period of time can get worse.
The acid in our body is needed to digest the food. If there is less secretion then it can cause indigestion and if it is in excess then it causes ‘Acidity’. Today, I would like to tell you more about Acidity and what are its symptoms, causes and cure.
Symptoms of Acidity:
Restless, heartburn, nausea and vomiting, sour belching of food you have consumed, aversion to certain food items, indigestion, severe constipation in some cases.
Possible causes of acidity
- Oily food, food with more salt, sweet and spices (overeating)
- Food or drinks containing a lot of acids or food that taste sour increases the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
- Tension, worries and pressure on mind create more acid in the stomach.
- Frequent drinking of coffee, alcohol, smoking and drugs etc
- Lack of physical activities, going to sleep immediately after food will produce excess acid.
- Taking of frequent allopathic medicines like aspirin or pain killers will increase acidity.
- Any illness related to the alimentary canal or the organs connected with the digestive organs may lead to acidity.
- Keeping long gaps between two meals.
- Having acidic food (which are mentioned below)
- Highly emotionally and nervous individuals.
Acidic foods :
Butter, Lentils, White refined flour, Whole-wheat cooked spaghetti, Peanuts(dry-roasted), Walnuts, Chicken, Whole egg, Oats, Brown rice, salmon, tuna, cheese, tomato
Honey, Asparagus, Margarine, White and red wine, Broccoli, Watermelon, Apples, Zucchini, Hazelnuts, Green beans, Cherries, Radishes, Cauliflower, Potatoes, Apricots, Carrots, Celery, Bananas, leafy vegetables, Raisins.
Home remedies for Acidity:
- Cold milk with 1 tsp of ghee.
- Eating 4-5 basil leaves(tulsi) after every meal.
- Boil fennel seeds(sound) in water, leave it overnight and drink next day when you get a bout of acidity.
- Chew cumin seeds (jeera) has calming effect
- Bite cloves so juice is released and keep it in the mouth for a while
- Boil cardamom, cool it and drink that cool water
- Boil mint leaves, cool it and drink that cool water
- Crush ginger and eat with a piece of Jaggery
- Have Amla powder 2/day to refrain from acidity.
Manish khandelwal says
Susan George says
Really nice post thanks for sharing, eating lots of water really helps in keeping your acidity in control.