In the present day, our lifestyles have changed drastically. It’s not just our lifestyle but our working style as well. Being glued to a laptop or a system without moving for hours has become the current trend. We work for nearly 10-12 hours seated on a chair with minimal movement for lunch or to get fresh.
While this sedentary lifestyle is important to earn a livelihood, it comes at the cost of many health issues such as neck pain, back ache, eye problems and digestion issues from irregular eating habits, to name a few. Let’s not forget the part stress plays in our lives. The effects of being seated with no activity affects not only our physical health but our mental health as well. When at home, most people are either irregular with their workouts or do not have a fitness regime at all. Not being active at work and at home can be detrimental to your well-being.
This is certainly not a good way to lead a life. One should take some time out for themselves and give a thought to maintaining a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Introducing even a little bit of workout or walking in your daily routine can make a world of a difference. Some physical activity and slight changes in your working pattern and eating habits can help you stay healthy.
Bring about a slight change in your lifestyle by doing these 8 simple things:
1. Include a walk in between while traveling to work and back.
2. Use the stairs instead of an elevator
3. Sit with your back straight, in an erect position while seated on a chair
4. Get up after every couple of hours to stretch your back, arms and legs
5. Keep a bottle of water at your desk and drink it frequently. Don’t forget that you need to drink at least 3l of water a day
6. Keep a few snacks, fruits or dry fruits on your desk so you can munch on them when hungry
7. Keep the brightness of your system low and maintain a decent distance away from the screen
8. Do not over eat when stressed. If you have begun a fitness regime, your appetite is likely to increase. If weight loss or maintaining a certain weight is one of your goals, you should stick to your diet and not eat more than required by your body. Avoid junk food especially.
In addition, you can add a free hand workout session of 15 minutes which you can perform either at work or at home. 5 basic but effective exercises like jumping jacks, squats, push ups, crunches and planks will do wonders. Do two sets of each of these exercises with 15-20 repetitions each. This will not only improve your health but stamina levels as well, helping you concentrate better as well as relieve you of stress or any other aches and pains caused by a sedentary lifestyle.
Making these tiny changes won’t affect your routine and they are easy to squeeze into your schedule as well.
Got any more tips for office workers? Share them with us in the comments below.