There’s nothing worse than being unprepared for an unforeseeable downpour, getting drenched and letting out that first sneeze which marks the beginning of the dreaded monsoon illness. Whether it is a common cold and cough, a fever or something as bad as sinusitis, the fact remains that no one wants to deal with it! There’s no need to panic. With enough precaution and a little help from the 5 hacks below, you can sail through the rains like a champ and avoid falling sick this monsoon.
5 Hacks To Avoid Falling Sick This Monsoon
- Avoid Street Food: This undoubtedly has to be number 1 on the list! The dampness in the air is the perfect host for germs that can ruin the balance of your digestive system. Street food is partially cooked, which promotes bacterial growth. Food stalls that are outdoors are exposed to contamination, flies and are generally unhygienic. You might not know what you’re consuming along with your favourite Chaat. Just steer clear and pick a healthy, home-cooked alternative instead!
- Thoroughly Wash Your Fruits & Veggies: During monsoon, fruits and vegetables tend to have more grime on them than usual. Thoroughly washing them will get rid of most of the germs that cause infections. Leafy vegetables should be avoided during the monsoon, as the soil they are grown in could be highly contaminated, and the bacteria find it easier to leech onto the leaves of these plants. Certain fruits and vegetables even have worms in them, so washing them thoroughly helps get rid of them.
- Use Boiled Water For Cooking and Drinking: Water-borne diseases are very common during monsoons. The best way to avoid germs and harmful bacteria is to boil the water you use. Apart from killing bacteria and germs, drinking boiled water has several benefits such as improved digestion and getting rid of toxins from your body. Boiled water can also prevent the common cold and viral infections.
- Take a Warm Shower After Getting Soaked: Getting soaked in the cold rain might appeal romantically to your senses but it definitely works differently for your body. Cold temperatures weaken the body’s immune system. Hence, after getting wet, your best bet is to jump into a warm shower quickly. Warm water gets your body temperature back to normal and increases blood flow. Make sure that you dry yourself properly and slip into some warm clothes. Taking a warm shower will also help you wash off the dirt and bacteria you might have picked up in the rain.
- Sleep Well! Sleep Right: Getting good sleep is mandatory not just during monsoons but throughout the year! Your body needs to charge on a daily basis in order to function properly. Sleep helps you do that. Sleeping for less than 8 hours might compromise your immune system and weaken it – exposing your body to bacteria and viruses. Getting an appropriate amount of sleep will help you get ready for the next day and strengthen your immune system, reducing your chances of falling sick,
There you have it! Follow these 5 hacks and avoid falling sick this monsoon. Were these tips helpful? Did we miss out anything? Let us know in the comments below!
For more tips on how to stay healthy during monsoon, check out Healthy Reads or ask a GOQii Coach directly by subscribing for personalized health coaching here: https://goqiiapp.page.link/bsr
D PRASAD REDDY says