It’s often said that “Good things come in small packages.” I came across one such small package. And indeed a familiar vegetable which is a power house of nutrients given to us by Mother Nature – ‘Green Peas’.
Green peas are botanically considered to be a fruit, but are often sold as a veggie. These are considered to be a poor man’s meat or a way to put some greens on the plate, but this native food provides us with array of benefits. Some of them are…
- Peas are low calorie foods rich in proteins, fibre and other micronutrients. Thus making them an apt food, effective in weight management ensuring longer satiety levels.
- Peas contain phytonutrients that are healthy for the body. One such phtyonutrient that is recently researched on is a polyphenol known as the coumestrol. A Study in Mexico City determined that only 2 milligrams per day of this phytonutrient is needed to prevent stomach cancer. A cup of peas gives you at least 10 miligrams.
- Peas not only contains anti–inflammatory compounds but also anti –oxidants that help’s one to boost their immunity levels and prevent ageing. The presence of Vitamin C in good amounts just adds up to the benefits!
- Recent studies have shown that this small package also holds alpha linolenic acid (ALA) precursor of the heart healthy omega –3. The combined effect of anti – oxidants+ omega-3 + anti–inflammatory compounds maintains heart health by promoting healthy blood vessels and preventing their blockage. Also the presence of B- vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B6 and folate help to reduce the homocysteine levels that is a risk factor for heart diseases.
- Green peas are rich in Vitamin K essential to hold calcium within the bones. Thus, promoting bone health.
- Being a good source of fibre relieves constipation.
- These are environmental friendly, nitrogen fixers, do not require artificial fertilizers. After the crop is harvested the tender plant is used as an organic fertilizer.
So let’s gauge the essential nutrients from the tiny package of Mother Nature. Just one cup at a time and all the benefits are thine!