There are many variations of Surya Namaskar according to different schools of yoga but I am going to show the steps for completing Surya Namaskar according to Swami Vivekanand School of yoga.
I have already mentioned about the benefits of Surya Namaskar in my previous blog and that it is yoga based exercise for overall personality development. It helps to achieve balanced physical growth, toned body, balanced state of mind, concentration, alertness and memory development. One must complete 12 rounds with chanting of mantras.
Starting position is called ‘Sthiti’ where one will stand erect with a Namaskar Mudra as is shown in the 1st picture.
- Raise both the hands up keeping palm together. Arms touching the ear and bend back from waist as shown in the diagram 1. Breathe in here.
2 Breathe out slowly and bend forward. Allow your palm to touch the ground near your feet as shown in fig.2 .
3 Breathe in and step with right leg back keeping your head up as shown in fig3
4 Exhale and step back with left leg, you will go to plank pose keeping your entire body straight in one line as shown in fig 4
5 From plank pose go to Shashankasana. While putting knees on the floor breath in while going to final pose breath out as shown in fig 5
- Go to Ashtangasana as shown in fig 6 breath out completely and hold.
- Breathe in deeply and go to Bhujangasana as shown in fig 7
- Breathe out and go to Parvatasana as shown in fig 8
- Go to Shashankasana again as shown in fig 9
- Inhale and go to pose as shown in fig 10.Step with right leg first.
- Breathe out and go to standing forward bend as shown in fig. 11.Place both the palms on the floor.
- Inhale and got to standing backward bend as shown in fig 12.
Breathe out and come back to starting position Stithi. This is one complete round of Surya Namaskar.
Repeat the same process and try to complete 12 rounds with Mantras.