Lemon! This bright yellow, all season fruit no doubt has innumerable advantages. If I list down the benefits of it, the list would be endless. The foremost advantage of lemon is its power to enhance the flavour of our kitchen. Packed with vitamin C, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, pectin fiber and citric acid, this fruit has been known for ages to boost up the immunity and take it to another level.
It is anti-bacterial in nature, thus protecting you from the clutches of most types of infections. It’s also a blood purifier and known to rejuvenate the skin by taking away the acne and wrinkles. It’s like a perfect morning drink as it aids in the elimination of waste products from the body and promotes quick bursts of energy.
I have seen many people using lemon water as way to lose kilos. Does it really help in weight loss? The good news is that… Yes! It does! Lemon water has shown to have real weight-loss powers. It actually helps accelerate the process of weight loss.
Let’s understand the Weight Loss Mechanisms of Lemon-
- Drinking lemon water in the morning helps activate the detoxifying process and thus clear out the toxins from the body and some internal waste. Once the toxins are out, it accelerates our sluggish metabolism, thus increasing our calorie burning capacity.
- It has diuretic and laxative effect, thus enabling smooth bowels and cleansing of colon. Lingering waste in the colon also adds on to the weight and results in bloating. Removal of the lingering waste helps drop some kilos then and there!
- Lemon water helps cleanse the liver and some components of lemon stimulate the liver to produce more bile. Bile is a chemical that helps in fat digestion. This process helps metabolize fat faster.
- Having lemon water with a meal also stimulates the production of gastric juices which enhances the digestion of food.
- Lemon is packed with Vitamin C! According to an article published in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition” in 2005, vitamin C is inversely related to our body mass. It has been reported that having enough vitamin C helps stimulate a series of chemical reactions that break down our body fat for use as energy.
- It creates an alkaline atmosphere in the stomach which is conducive to weight loss and helps shed off the kilos faster.
- It contains a fibre called pectin (especially the lemon peel). This pectin is known to cut down hunger cravings and providing satiety effects, thus exerting control on over-eating.
- Last but not the least… Substituting other drinks (colas/sugary fruit juices, etc) with lemon water certainly reduces the caloric consumption as lemon water adds ZERO calories to your body each time you drink it as compared to the other drinks. If you choose to replace the other drinks with lemon water every day for months or even a year, this absence of calories you would otherwise take in from other drinks will go a long way to helping you lose weight.
Now you know, this simple looking tiny small fruit is a perfect example of “Big Surprises Come in Small Packages” Isn’t it?
So make it a point to begin your day with a glass of lemon water daily and enjoy its positive effects on your health and weight in the long run.