Very often we come across these phrases live healthy, eat healthy…we are also aware of a list of food items to avoid eating …but, never actually get down to healthy food items. Several times there are questions arising about eating healthy food- wondering what? Well I am talking about the latest fad that is ‘Organic Food’
What do we mean by Organic food? Organic food is the usual edible stuff but, is produced, processed and packaged in a different way without using chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, non-organic fertilizers, antibiotics or any artificial hormones which is usually used otherwise. Organic food meets strict standards and thus gives assurance safety to eat.
Advantages of organic food:
- Retains at least 50% more natural nutrients like vitamins and minerals than artificially grown food.
- Not hazardous for health as they contain no chemicals
- Tastes more natural and delicious as no sweeteners, coloring, flavors and preservatives are added.
- Organic food protects from cancer and other diseases.
5.Organic agriculture helps to keep our oceans, lakes, rivers and water supplies clean. In general the environment clean
Disadvantages of organic food:
1.It is an expensive proposition.
- Not easily available everywhere.
- Lack in variety.
- Short shelf life because of no added preservatives.
What types of foods are available as organic?
Most consumers think of fruits and vegetables when they think of organic food but, there are many other organic foods, including apples, pears, oranges, broccoli, green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes, pastas, sauces, frozen juices, frozen meals, cereals, soups, chocolate, cookies, meat, poultry, dairy and even wine.
Not only the vegetarian food items but, even poultry and meat have gone organic. Isn’t that interesting for non vegetarians? but how? Actually Poultry and animal are fed only organic feeds and that puts them in the category of organic non vegetarian food. Also, the animal and birds are not given any growth hormones for their mass production.
Tips to buy organic food:
- Look for the label or logo that has approved the production of the food as “organic”.
- Remain informed about the organization that is authorized seller of organic food.
- Pay attention on the expiry date as no preservatives are added to the food so naturally shelf life is less.
People may mistake natural food as organic food as it has not reached many areas in the world due to governmental support, proper authentication etc. So there is a difference between natural food and Organic Food
What is the difference between “organic” and “natural”?
“Natural” often is misrepresented in product labeling as “healthy,” but “natural” only means that the product has undergone minimal processing, no certification or inspection system. Also, “natural” does not necessarily relate to growing methods or the use of preservatives
As I we know that eating unhealthy will create health issues but, eating healthy and organic food will help you have better health but also make you aware and most importantly develop good habit of eating right.