Are you fat or Plump? Or just Obese? Probably you have tried everything under the sun various diets and exercises to lose weight, joined health clubs, aerobic classes, slimming centres and the list goes on but, never been able to get that weight off permanently.
You may have experienced that the lost kilos have crept back almost as quickly as you had shed them, comfortably settling down once again on the hips, arms and thighs. When it comes to losing weight and keeping it off, what really works?
It works differently for different people as each one’s body needs and composition differ. The approach of losing weight has to be holistic and diet alone is not the best method for improving the body measurements or probably shed few kilos !! The ideal method is combination of various lifestyle factors.
The key to weight loss is making those permanent changes in your eating habits as well as lifestyle. It is said that weight gain is not quick and is not the result of days or few months, but it’s a result of years of overeating. The safest and the most effective way of slimming are to lose weight sensibly- a kilo in a week is quick, safe and manageable.
Crash diets should generally be avoided as quite often they fail. More severe the diet, further the body’s metabolism slows down. The key to successful weight loss is making permanent changes in your eating habits. Do not try to revamp your diet all at once. Start with few adjustments and gradually build on them until balanced nutrition choices become a regular part of your routine. Gradual changes in diet are more likely to become habits eventually.
Here are some myths, tips and funny tricks about weight loss.
- A glass of warm water in the morning helps to lose weight: Many believe that consuming warm water on empty stomach is a cure for excess weight, as they believe that hot water dissolves fat. But, the truth is fat does not dissolve in water.
- Switching sugar with honey will aid weight loss: Agreed honey has lot many therapeutic and curative powers, but it does not cure obesity.
- Bananas are fattening: This is the most misunderstood fruit and has calories as much as any other fruit. Also they are wonderful sources of potassium. They are filling and assuage constipation.
- Standing while eating burns up more calories: The truth is you tend to eat more while standing. I always recommend one to sit and eat unless circumstances demand otherwise.
- Skipping breakfast is good during dieting: It’s recommended never to skip breakfast else you will tend to overeat in your next meal. On the other hand, after dinner our body is in the fasting state and next morning when we wake up, body needs fuel to get going. Go eat sensibly.
- Potatoes are fattening: It’s safer to consume potatoes over breads as breads are twice as fattening as potatoes. Go for boiled potatoes rather than fried ones.
- Saunas help in shedding kilos: You may feel rejuvenated and great sitting in a sauna, but what you really lose after aggies and fruiyn hour session is merely the weight of water. Once the fluids have been replenished, sadly the weight comes back to normal.
- Eat plenty of green leafy veggies, fruits, whole grains and water
- You need to watch the nutrients that you consume, so divide your entire day’s plate into 4 quarters. Fill more than half of your plate with veggies and fruits. Remaining could be balanced between dairy, beans or cereals.
- Try to go for small frequent meals instead of typical 3 square meals: Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner. Ideally, body should consume some food after every 2.5- 3 hours.
- Have a colourful meal. By colours I don’t mean artificial/synthetic colours. All I mean is choose foods with colourful veggies and fruits and make your plate attractive.
- Eat your meals mindfully, chew your food thoroughly. This will help in portion control, better digestion and chances of overeating decreases.
- Drink plenty of water. These will keep off hunger and sometimes what we often think as hunger is in fact thirst. So learn to recognise physical hunger.
- If you have a sweet tooth, don’t hold the guilt, satisfy it. Choose a sweet like candy or peppermint, which will last in your mouth for some time and tastes heavenly. If it is a high calorie sweet loaded with sugar and fat, take just a bite. Remember taste is what you want, not the calories.
- If you happen to treat yourself with some sweets or fried foods, do so at breakfast. As our metabolism is more active during this time of the day and plus you have entire day to burn that extra calories.
- Sleep deprivation can cause you to snack unnecessarily. So have a good rest and sleep for weight moderation.
- Focus on deep breathing, into your stomach and not just your chest. Oxygen is one key to lose weight as fat burns in the flame of oxygen. Take equal time to exhale so as to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Don’t miss out your daily workout. If you don’t have so much luxury of time, try and be active for at least 20 minutes per day as it’s always said that little workout is better than no workout at all.
- Develop a reward system. It’s proven that when you have something to look forward to at the end of each milestone, it automatically helps to mentally and emotionally shorten the cycle of long term success.
- While setting target, try to be realistic and do not dream of a petite figure. This will help you gain confidence within yourself once you achieve that realistic goal.
- This sounds silly but really works (Personal experience).When you are tempted to reach out for that forbidden snack, before satisfying your taste buds, just take a deep breath & count to 100. Usually, by the time you finish counting 100, your craving would have vanished.
- Chocolate craving is the most addictive of all. Next time you feel like having a chocolate, just take a whiff of a strong perfume. This eases away the craving. Try it…
- Pinch your ear to lose your appetite! Surprising, isn’t it? Well Reflexologists believe that pinching your ear will curb cravings and reduce the appetite.
- Above all, be motivated always. Think thin and fit. Imagine yourself at the weight you would like to be or the dress you would like to fit in. Also picture how others will react to you at your new weight and look. Enjoy the feelings that these thoughts will evoke as they will keep you motivated for a longer run.
So the take home message here is- Weight loss comes as a by product of active and healthy lifestyle. And it’s you who have to get yourself out of the couch to exercise, cook that healthy dish and move that body !!